Adding Cardamom to Breakfast Stout at Bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedartedash

Reaction score
I brewed a Breakfast Stout clone (from BYO) 6 weeks ago (2 week in primary, 4 in secondary). I am going to bottle this weekend, and I would like to add some Cardamom to part of the batch (Turkish Coffee Anyone?).

Here is my idea:

1. Split my priming sugar, and the beer in half.
2. Dissolve the sugar and water as usual, but put some cardamom pods in one of the sugar solutions.
3. Add the normal sugar solution to half of the batch, and add the cardamom sugar solution to the other half.
4. bottle as usual. half with the cardamom sugar, and half without.

I was thinking of lightly toasting my pods before adding them to the sugar solution.

Also, in order to get an idea of the strength of the cardamom that I like, I am thinking of making a similar solution, and adding it to an actual Founders Breakfast Stout (break it up into to 6 samples, adding different amount to each). Keeping the best ratio for the bottling. (not changing the sugar amount, but the cardamom amount).

Ok, this is long... thanks for reading!

Let me know if you have any thoughts, or have done anything similarly.

Sounds interesting. I would really not use too much, cardamom is some pretty potent stuff! That said, when cooking or making cider or tea with it, it's usually best to lightly split/crush them so liquid can get to the inside of the pod. I would guess it's a good idea to only do half the batch this way, but I still think it's a great idea. Let us know how it turns out if you do it! :mug:

I like your idea of Crushing the pods before using them.

I hope to find the balance of coffee and cardamom in this, but you're right, too much and it would just be overpowering.

-I will let you know how it turns out:)

I ended up liking the ration that came out to be 1/2 pod per 12oz bottle. I broke open each of the pods, and just roasted the inside parts for a few minutes over medium high heat. I then ground it up, and added it to the sugar solution.

Like I said I split up the batch, so it was a bit more work than usual.

at first the cardamom flavor was really strong, but after a few months it has simmered down.

I think the desired strength may differ from person to person.

I don't know if I would do a whole batch with the cardamom, as it is not something i am in the mood for very often.

let me know if you have any specific questions.

Yeah, it sounds like it might be cool to do with like a gallon or two out of the batch rather than the whole thing. 1 pod per two bottles seems like a lot to me but I've never done it, so kudos to you!

Yeah it's strong stuff. You can use a single pod for a whole gallon of thick, spicy thai curry. I find beer is more sensitive than curry.

at first the cardamom flavor was really strong, but after a few months it has simmered down.

I don't know if I would do a whole batch with the cardamom, as it is not something i am in the mood for very often.

After drinking some of this beer, would you do it again? or was this one and done?

Cardamom is one of the strongest spices. 1 gram per 5 gallons in the boil is what some people recommend.

Back