Film on Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchlhgn1

Reaction score
I am on my 5th brew and just opened up a partial mash of Fire in the Hole from B3. There seems to be a film on top of the beer in the bottle that I have never seen before. It is kind of like the yeast consistency normally on the bottom, but with a little bit of brown in it and a bit more jelly like. there is still the yeast on the bottom as well.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18366/102183/Fire_In_the_Hole_-_Mini_Mash_Beer_Kit

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

My thoughts:

Could be

1. An infection. How does it taste?

2. Still in the process on carbonation. Never seen it before, but in theory some krausen could have formed in your bottle while the yeast is fermenting the priming sugar. How long has it been in the bottle?

It tastes pretty good. It has a nice smooth front with the bite of a rye finish and an oak after taste. Once I got that brownish goo out of the glass at least.

The beer as been in the bottle for a little over 2 weeks. Still a bit young, but I like to grab one while in the process of maturing to make sure it is carbonating properly and see what its like before if fully finishes.

Any thoughts from some other members would be greatly appreciated. I am still learning and want to make sure I am not doing something wrong that I could easily change.

Thanks.

I fermented for about 16 days total. 10 in primary and 6 in the second. It has been bottled for about 2 weeks.

What does it smell like? Does it smell yeasty, like baking bread, or does it smell like vinegar? Or does it just smell like beer?

Was there floating stuff when you bottled ? I can't imagine yeast rafts forming after bottling. You store your bottle in a vertical position right ? Is it in every bottles or just a few ?

If it doesn't smell/taste bad, I wouldn't worry abou it really.

No there wasnt floating stuff in a carboy when I bottled, but from research it does look like yeast rafts. I cant find any place that talks about that happening though.

It looks like it is in every bottle, but at this point I have only opened the one and have just looked at the bottles.

It smells and tastes like beer. I am not too worried about it but want to understand and hopefully prevent it in the future. I will have no problem drinking it as long as it does not make me sick and it tastes good (which it does), but if my friends and family may be a little disgusted by the yeasty looking clump that falls into the beer.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Back