Cigar Storage, Repair & Maintenance???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK - I'm getting ready to move, packing up boxes emptying out a desk and low and behold I found two boxes of cigars plus a large bag of panatelas!

They are all dry as fricken hell. :eek:

Question: Are they garbage or can they be rehydrated?

Obviously, I'm not a big cigar guy, I slowed down on the smoking once I started brewing. Frankly, I totally forgot about these.

The two boxes are a mixed variety of 2nds from Thompsons. The sizes are coronas, lonsdales, churchills and robustos and bag of panatelas have a Sumatra label.

Thanks!!!!

Find a jar that leaves enough top room to fit a piece of a wet spunge on the inside of the lid. CLose them in together and slowly they should rehydrate. No gurantee on having that original taste, but is still smokable and better than wasting.

For future use of cigar boxes, you can turn each on into a small humidor with a strip of velcro and sponges.

Assuming they're worth keeping... "seconds" (technically there's no such thing, they're really cigars rolled by novice rollers and with lower quality tobaccos) from Thompson?... questionable.:D

You can bring them back. Just re-humidify them slowly in a humidor. Whatever device you use for moisture (e.g., florist foam), add water slowly. Start out with a little and increase the water amount by a little bit every few days. If you have a hygrometer, you can monitor it. Also, put blocks or thin sheets of spanish cedar (come in many premium cigar boxes) to absorb excess moisture.

If the wrappers crack, you can repair them with pectin.

Assuming they're worth keeping... "seconds" (technically there's no such thing, they're really cigars rolled by novice rollers and with lower quality tobaccos) from Thompson?... questionable.:D

You can bring them back. Just re-humidify them slowly in a humidor. Whatever device you use for moisture (e.g., florist foam), add water slowly. Start out with a little and increase the water amount by a little bit every few days. If you have a hygrometer, you can monitor it. Also, put blocks or thin sheets of spanish cedar (come in many premium cigar boxes) to absorb excess moisture.

If the wrappers crack, you can repair them with pectin.

I thought that these were various name brands that had rolling defects, not good enough for the brand label. Essentially its a kind of like generic cigar. I don't know if 2nd's is the right term for these. They were reduced, I split a big order with my FIL. He seem to like these.

I'm gonna find a nice jar to re-humidify these things. If they suck after a month or so no big deal. These are several years old so it won't be a big loss for that matter.

BTW - My humidor is full that's why these are dry as hell.

Back