What yeast can I substitute for White Labs English Ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered two recipes from Austin Homebrew Supply. One was a Budget Brown Ale and the other was a Red Stripe Clone. Both were shipped with yeast and cold packs. I made the Red Stripe over a week ago and during the fermentation process, I learned that the yeast that had shipped probably got too hot and spoiled. I ended up buying another Wyeast Smack Pack from my LHBS. I'll never order Yeast online again.

Well, Sunday afternoon I made the Brown Ale. Oddly, the OG is suggested to be 1.048. Well I measured the OG and it is 1.060. Anyways, I poured the White Labs English Ale WLP002 yeast in and have it fermenting at about 70F - 72F. Well, nothing is happening. My guess it that the White Labs yeast also got too hot and spoiled.

Sorry for the story, I was trying to fill and gaps. So. I have an extra Wyeast American Lager 2035. Can I use this? I know better. I will probably pick up another White Labs yeast tomorrow after work and pitch it again. So maybe I don't have a question.:drunk:

Even if those vials were factory fresh, they only have 100 billion cells. That number declines rapidly over time and/or exposure to summer shipping temps. You simply didn't have enough cells for a 5 gallon batch of 1.048 or 1.060 ale.

I'm assuming that the Red Stripe clone came with lager yeast. Lagers generally need twice the cell count of a comparable ale. In that case, a single vial (even when super-fresh) isn't even in the ballpark.

Here are the lessons to learn from all this. The first one you already picked up on. Buying liquid yeast online in the summer is a risky thing. The inside of a UPS delivery truck this week in Texas is pretty roasty. Second, if you're going to use liquid yeast, get used to making yeast starters. Unless you want to buy and pitch multiple packs, a starter is the only way to get the needed cell count and make good beer.

If that were my batch of brown ale, I'd rehydrate a packet of S-04 dry yeast and pitch that in it.

You are right. I am going to need to learn how to do a yeast starter. Time to invest in a stirplate.

How do I "rehydrate"? I will do some reading about it...

Check the safeale website fermentis.com for rehydrating instructions.

If you do decide to buy online liquid yeast again, I'd pick a supplier that's closer....so it makes it in one day. I have no choice as there is no LHBS here but Austin does get it to me next day.

I tried some White Labs shipped from Atlanta as a test of the cold packs and used a gift certificate someone gave me......the WPL051 seemed like it got pretty damn warm by the time it arrived in August (it was 105 here) but I tried it on a fairly medium OG brew.......it took a week for it to do anything but then it went wild.....hang on, it may go anyway.

Back