Blithering Idiot Clone Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loetz

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a barleywine similar to Blithering idiot from Weyerbacher. I know that it isn't everyone's favorite barleywine, but it's something that I find to be nice.
I'm especially interested in creating a barleywine with 'muscular flavors of black cherry, orange, dark rum-soaked dates and English toffee' as one reviewer puts it here:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/1566/?sort=topr&start=0

What type of malts would I use to get that sort of a characteristic?

I'd like the hops to give it a bit of spice, but we'll get to that later...

Any luck anywhere on your efforts? I see no responses here, but I thought maybe you had better luck elsewhere? My wife loves the BI and I would like to make an Insanity clone which is the BI aged in bourbon barrels.

Nope.
But I did make a barleywine a few months back. It's going to take a long time before it is ready, but I will do an update if it is any good.

Please do update. I would love to know how it turned out. Was it an attempt at Blithering Idiot? I am planning on making a barley wine here very soon and aging in my used whiskey barrel.

Back