Careful with your signatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
Just a word of warning, I guess the forum rules are being taken very seriously.

I just received an infraction point for my old signature. I suppose the infraction was deserved as it could be seen as a political comment to anyone looking hard enough. And the sigs get seen on all threads that you post on. I'm posting this in the Drunken Rants section where I know it will be safe to post. The offending signature was:

"If a cop is beating on you, don't just assume that he is a fascist, racist or homophobic. He is probably just having fun. Try to relax and share in his humour."

Now, I used that sig all in good fun, not even thinking it could seem offensive to anyone. This is just a heads up to anyone that has a signature that could be misunderstood in any way. No need for infraction points for you guys :)

I would like someone to explain to me how anyone, other than a cop that beats people purely for fun, could find that offensive. And, if said cop beats people purely for fun, why would anyone care if they were offended? Is this turning into Sesame Street around here?

I don't know. It doesn't seem particularly political, considering that the only word with overt political significance in your former sig is "fascist".

It could just be PC, but I doubt it. Or one of the mods might be a cop. Who knows?

I think the trouble with sigs like that one is that it is pointlessly provocative and totally unrelated to the content that this board is devoted to. It has nothing to do with homebrewing. Sure, there are other sigs that have no bearing on homebrewing, and some of them might even be considered to be in poor taste, but they aren't potentially inflammatory like yours.

There are plenty of boards where a sig like that would be just fine because the forum is devoted to debate, liberty, social commentary, conspiracy, hate, dark humor, politics, etc. This board is dedicated to homebrewing and beer, and your sig just didn't fit.

Ask the mods. They might explain their rationale to you.

I liked your sig by the way. There is little real liberty anymore and we do essentially live in a police state. What you say isn't really far off the mark.

I also like fluffycats.

Censorship, in all forms, sucks!!!

I'm not homophobic...why would I be afraid of "the same"? I consider it one of those BS words that no one knows what the hell it means...including the first person who coined it (uneducated dumb ass), so I don't use it.

I believe the term should be "homosexualphobic" which relays (the why) fear of what someone may actually be afraid of...

My $0.02!! :D

EDIT: Fluffy cats are nice with rice...

I think the trouble with sigs like that one is that it is pointlessly provocative and totally unrelated to the content that this board is devoted to. It has nothing to do with homebrewing. Sure, there are other sigs that have no bearing on homebrewing, and some of them might even be considered to be in poor taste, but they aren't potentially inflammatory like yours.
Right on. I was not the one to administer the infraction, but I can't disagree with it.

I don't know. It doesn't seem particularly political, considering that the only word with overt political significance in your former sig is "fascist".

It could just be PC, but I doubt it. Or one of the mods might be a cop. Who knows?

There are plenty of boards where a sig like that would be just fine because the forum is devoted to debate, liberty, social commentary, conspiracy, hate, dark humor, politics, etc. This board is dedicated to homebrewing and beer, and your sig just didn't fit.

Ask the mods. They might explain their rationale to you.

I liked your sig by the way. There is little real liberty anymore and we do essentially live in a police state. What you say isn't really far off the mark.

I also like fluffycats.

That's kinda how I understand it too. It was a bit of a surprise, so that's why I posted the warning to others, just in case. :)

Thanks for giving everyone a heads up.

For those that are having difficulty with this decision, please address it here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73680

Quoted for emphasis:
If anyone has a complaint or concern about the moderation policies, practices or the actions or behaviors of the moderation team, there is but one avenue of this type of communication and that is a PM to the ADMIN.

TxBrew
http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/TxBrew

Direct PM LInk:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back