Digital therm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrundleCruncher

Reaction score
I just bought a digital thermometer with the timer and temp alarms, I did my first mash with it and the wort tasted terrible; my water was too hot. I decided to calibrate my thermometer today an try again, except the temp. of a freezing cold cup of water is 100 deg F!, wtf is wrong with that thing, is there any way to calibrate it myself? Any help would be appreciated, I paid 30 bucks for that thing

What kind is it? Is it possible that it is made for higher temps and 100 is as low as it reads? Or is it reading in Kelvin and you have really cold water? Try it in some boiling water.

It sounds like you got the probe wet, where it meets the wire. until it dries out (several days) it won't give anything close to an accurate reading because the sensor is shorting out.

when i got mine wet, it read 187F for 4 days. on day 5 it was back to normal.

I noticed in Bobby's brewing video on Youtube that he put silicone airline (for an aquarium) around the top of his probe, and around the wire, allowing to be fully submerged without fouling it up.

Yep. Braid got wet.

Put the probe into the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and it will reset.

Trust me...been there...done that.

Oh...keep the digital readout part out of the oven. :cross:

Bake (the ss probe only) in the oven @350 for awile. It'll be back to normal in 20 min or so. I used a toaster oven.

EDIT: BierMuncher, I thought you were patrolling the South Quadrant this evening.

Thanks guys, I was hoping moisture wouldn't be an issue, I am def. going to be sealing that off. At least I can say I've mashed with 200+deg water thanks to that therm., whatever thats worth.
Would you say the meat probe type thermometers are worth bothering with if they will sour like this when they get wet, is there any better alternative?
Does anyone use a pyrometer? (laser thermo)

Yes and leave the plastic plug at the other end of the braided wire OUT of the [toaster] oven as well. Oh how I wish I wasn't speaking from experience there.... :cross:

Another one for the oven trick. I bought one of those things, got it wet, read way off (just like yours), I was actually able to take it back and get it replaced, but then it happened again! Anyway, came on here, read about putting it in the over, 15 minutes and it was just like new. Give it a shot, you will be pleased.

GrundleCruncher said:
Thanks guys, I was hoping moisture wouldn't be an issue, I am def. going to be sealing that off. At least I can say I've mashed with 200+deg water thanks to that therm., whatever thats worth.
Would you say the meat probe type thermometers are worth bothering with if they will sour like this when they get wet, is there any better alternative?
Does anyone use a pyrometer? (laser thermo)
If you want to waterproof it, just get some silicone tubing and slip it over the probe and wire lead. It will never get wet again!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26905

Here is a link to the Traceable Thermometer that I use. It's become very highly regarded in the homebrew circles I am involved with. It's not that expensive, it's completely water and shock proof, and it's accuracy is Traceable, meaning it has been certified accurate.

T100-4039big.jpg

johnsma22 said:
Here is a link to the Traceable Thermometer that I use. It's become very highly regarded in the homebrew circles I am involved with. It's not that expensive, it's completely water and shock proof, and it's accuracy is Traceable, meaning it has been certified accurate.

Does anyone know of a retail store that sells these?
It is a very good price, about what homebrew places sell dial thermometers for. I am tired of my Wal-Mart one, worrying about getting it wet or dropping it not to mention that I will never believe it is right and I would love to get one for this weekend's brew.

Beerrific said:
Does anyone know of a retail store that sells these?
It is a very good price, about what homebrew places sell dial thermometers for. I am tired of my Wal-Mart one, worrying about getting it wet or dropping it not to mention that I will never believe it is right and I would love to get one for this weekend's brew.

Doubt they sell that in too many retail shops. Mine got here in 2 days though.

johnsma22 said:

T100-4039big.jpg

I've been scouring the internet for a thermometer most of this week. It is actually very tough to find one with the three qualifications we [cheap] AG brewers need:
1) temperature range from freezing to boiling or better
2) remote probe to stick inside cooler mash tun
3) the probe and cable have to be waterproof

That model right there is the least expensive one I have been able to find so far that meets all 3 criteria. The only other one I found costs twice as much. I think I'm ordering mine tonight.

EDIT: Check it out, Lab Safety has em for only $31.10 plus shipping ($8.90 for me) = $40 shipped to my doorstep. Woot!

Back