Little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinskindog

Reaction score
I started a fresh cider batch back several months ago. I moved it once from the primary and it has been sitting in a secondary for several months now. Temp approx 65ish. I meant to bottle sooner, but got busy with a bunch of stuff and am now worried it may be ruined since it has been sitting so long. Any help? I went to a local brew store and the lady sold me two different powders to put in it. Just wanted to see if it was worth trying to salvage. It was fresh cider from the mill (unpasteurized etc).

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Whether it's fallen over depends on a lot (tannins, acid, ABV, headspace).

Best way to know: taste it. If it tastes bad, you might have waited too long. I certainly wouldn't toss it just because.

There was a discussion on here a few weeks back about New England Style Cider and how it was made. Based on that info, dumping leftover apple juice into a plastic 55 gallon drum and leaving it in a shed (next to a pile of manure and seven dust spreader) for 4-5 months...I'd say you're probably fine. As Unferth said, give it a taste and see.

I agree with the above comments. The worst thing that could happen is that you didn't rack to secondary properly and you have the possibility of oxidization. I'd bet my bottom dollar that it'll be just fine.

I typically age my cider a few months, no problems. But my ciders are pretty high in alcohol, that helps.

Taste is the best measure of quality.

Back