Root Beer extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggestmuff

Reaction score
New to the forum and still new to brewing. I've only been brewing with Mr Beer for about 5 months.

I tried the Mr Beer root beer kit and really dislike the taste of their extract. Way too much wintergreen in the flavor.

I'd like to stick with root beer extracts and bottle carbonation for 1 gallon for the simplicity right now.

I am wondering if some of the other extracts have better flavor or have less wintergreen in them.

Gnome soda extract

Homebrew extract

Sprecher syrup

Zatarain's extract

I LOVE the Sprecher extract- but you can bottle carbonate with it as it has preservatives in it. It must be kegged. The Sprecher I made tasted exactly like the Sprecher soda you can buy. I also used McCormick from the grocery store, and it was pretty good too. Not as good as the Sprecher, but it wasn't molasses-y or anything like that, and we liked it.

Thanks, guys.

I ordered the Gnome, Homebrew and Zatarain's.

I'll check out the homemeade soda company extracts after I try these three.

duganderson, are the #1 and #3 light on the wintergreen? I'm assuming you tried the #2. If so, how was it?

Zatarain's is the only one in your list I've tried, and it's great. It tastes perfect to me. I have no reason to want to try another.

Latest posts

Back