dry hopping with vanilla beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mre24j

Reaction score
I am brewing an imperial stout that should be coming out around 15% abv if my yeast makes it through, so its a big beer with a lot of flavor. In the secondary I am going to add some bourbon soaked oak chips and vanilla beans but I dont know how many whole beans to add, anyone got any suggestions? I also might split the batch up and do a gallon with chocolate and another with expresso just to play around a little.

When I did one like this I added two to my bourbon and oak soak, and then I added two to the bright tank after a quick rise to 180F in a little water (1/4 cup it was).

Split the beans then scrape them. Then quarter the split sides.

I added the bourbon that the first two (and the oak) sat on. Then I just dumped the bit of water and beans in on the second two.

I just wanted a hint of vanilla in mine, so I split one bean, gave it a scrape and put it in my secondary for a week.

Did you sanitize the vanilla beans when you added them to the oak and bourbon, and how long did you leave it in secondary?

In the oak and bourbon, the bourbon would have sanitized them.

The ones that I had added to the bright tank I put into a 1/4 cup of water and pasteurized (160F-170F) vary briefly (30 seconds). That beer has not had a problem.

I left it in the bright tank for 3 weeks.

Yep. Split, scraped and dropped it all in the carboy before I racked. It'll be two more weeks before I open the first bottle to see how it is, though the sample tasted alright so far. Bitter, but I think the tiny bit of vanilla underneath it helps balance it out. Can't really taste vanilla, but there's definitely something in the background from it.

Back