I'm officially finished with Airgas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
$28 to swap out a 5#.:eek: $5.60 in tax alone. I assume there are new california taxes this year :rolleyes: so that part is expected but to go from $16 last year to $28 this year is a bunch of BS. The guy behind the counter insisted that airgas won't let them sell it cheaper. Is everybody getting hosed lately?

Day-um! For $28 I hope they at least provide lube. It's $8.60 (including tax) to fill a 5-pounder in my corner of the world.

I figured I got screwed. Next time I'm going to the weld shop or fire hydrant place.

I just had to pay $25 for a 5 lb fill, but thats cause I needed it and the paintball place was the only place open on a Saturday...the kid filling had to "bleed off" a 1/2 pound cause he said it wasn't cold enough (my tank had been in the fridge, and was then on ice in a cooler until I got to the paintball store). I was charge at $.25/oz including the excess he had to purge... what a rip

I paid the same at the airgas near me in Fayetteville NC. They told me it was additional testing and certifications required by the Feds.

$28 to swap out a 5#.:eek: $5.60 in tax alone. I assume there are new california taxes this year :rolleyes: so that part is expected but to go from $16 last year to $28 this year is a bunch of BS. The guy behind the counter insisted that airgas won't let them sell it cheaper. Is everybody getting hosed lately?

Ummmm.... I just swapped out at 5# tank at the Airgas in Oxnard for $14.15 on January 7th.

12.00 base
1.10 hazmat charge
0.85 state tax
0.13 county tax
0.07 district tax

I stopped going to airgas years ago when I realized that the price varied each trip. Sometimes it was $15 sometimes $20, once it was $27/28 and that was the last time. I even asked the guy why it was so much more than usual and he said that the regular price was some outrageous number and that its up to the employee to discount it however they want and that he was giving me a great deal. I go to west air now and have never paid that much. And they swapped out my 5lb for a 20lb and swapped my other 20lb tank all for less than it would have been to swap one 20lb and one 5lb. Plus they have a frequent buyers card so every 10th swap is free.

My local airgas wanted ....$32 for 5#.

Went to a welding supply store instead, saved $10.

where in LA are you?

I've had my 20# filled a few times at Tym's off of the 405 in inglewood
http://www.tymsinc.com/

usually around $26 i believe for 20# tank as of late last year

they were cheaper and had better hours than Airgas - they fill the tank on the spot, never had a swap

Just exchanged a 5 lb for $28 and all places around here are within $1 or 2 of each other. And exchange only, to refill your tank takes a month for some reason.

I just paid $32 to airgas, but they agreed to upgrade my 5# tank to a 10# tank. Hopefully the refills/tank swaps on 10# will be more reasonable in the future.

If anyone knows of a good CO2 source around Sacramento, would love to hear it. Stuff is expensive.

Try a fire extinguisher place, I get everything filled there and they are normally cheaper.

I just paid $32 to airgas, but they agreed to upgrade my 5# tank to a 10# tank. Hopefully the refills/tank swaps on 10# will be more reasonable in the future.

If anyone knows of a good CO2 source around Sacramento, would love to hear it. Stuff is expensive.

Harris Welding off Riverside. $24.

Yeah, airgas on cirby wanted $32 from me. You could also get #5 for about $22 from Solon Fire Control in Rancho Cordorva.

I have 7 kegs and only fill my 5lb 3-4 times per year. Y'all can say that $20 is a ripoff, but my place is on my way home from work (1mi from home) and what does it cost me? $20 more per year? My time, my mileage, and gas money is worth 10x what I'm paying for CO2 on an annual basis.

call around. I did that when I got my tank and now I get my 20# tank filled for $10.80 after tax in OKC. It's a welding supply shop.

How long does a 20# tank last? Refill prices are damn close for me from 5 to 20 lbs. just the tank price to figure out if worth it or not.

How long does a 20# tank last? Refill prices are damn close for me from 5 to 20 lbs. just the tank price to figure out if worth it or not.

Before you decide to buy another tank, I was able to upgrade my 5lb cylinder to a 10lb cylinder at Airgas. You might be able to move up in tank size during trade-in without having to buy another tank. I might try the 10 to 20 upgrade next time once I move my cylinder out of the keezer.

Sorry, I can't answer the other part of your question.

I'm going to get a cylinder tomorrow or Friday. I already know I have to pay about $80 for the cylinder since I don't have one

limulus said:
I'm going to get a cylinder tomorrow or Friday. I already know I have to pay about $80 for the cylinder since I don't have one

Have you checked craigslist?? You can probably do much better than 80 bucks. (Or post a WTB on HBT)

4x as long as a 5# ;)

it depends on whether or not you are force carbing, how much you purge etc - anywhere from 1/2# to 1# per keg is a fairly good estimate

if you already have a 5# tank I'd suggest getting a 20# tank used on craigslist or on here (as suggested) and keep the smaller tank as a backup.

murphy's homebrew law - your co2 tank will run out when you need it most

Fire extinguisher place.. Airgas is a total ripoff IMO. About 2x the price at the fire extinguisher place.

Now, i wish the extinguisher place did beergas..

I just picked up a 5lb cylinder for $77. That was to buy a cylinder which included the CO2. It appears to be a brand new cylinder, so I feel like I got a decent deal. I don't know what the exchange will cost when I go to do that but for now, I'm satisfied. A new cylinder from a keg supply shop is $60.

Around here it is 18 + fees for a 10# swap (around $23 total). I just moved from the Dallas area last year where it was $10 to fill a 5# at a welding shop. I don't mind doing the swap here since my two 10# tanks were almost out of hydro that I bought on CL for cheap.

Back