Where Do You Buy Your Extract Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
I have always purchased my kits from Norther Brewer but I am now looking for something different. Where do you purchase your kits?

Mike

When i first started out all i did was Austin Home brew Supply kits, they always turned out great and were a good price. They also have the option to do mini-mash what i moved to after only 2 all extract brews. They also have flat rate shipping and shipping is usually super fast. I have also done kits from Midwest and they turned out good (hophead IPA from them was my favorite).

Chromados

I've done kits from austin homebrew and williams brewing. I'm in CA, so shipping from williams is extremely fast (I get next day delivery for fedex ground). the only bad thing is that williams doen't tell you the ingredients in the kits.

Most of my kits have came from Midwest supplies, but the last four have came from NorthernBrewer. I still need to try Austin.

I get most of my stuff from my LHBS. They are pretty close to me and treat me right. The two batches I am fermenting right now came from morebeer.

Ditch the kits!!!!!

Buy a recipe book, or just use the recipes here on this site. You'll likely learn something along the way.

Buy some bulk hops and bulk DME. You'll save 50% or more this way.

Austin Homebrew kits have been awesome for me though. I have done 3 and all have been great. I thought I had a problem with some yeast they shipped me. I called and they talked me down off the ledge. Top notch customer service from Forrest and his crew. They are knowledgeable and nice, two qualities most customer service reps usually lack.

Ditch the kits!!!!!

Buy some bulk hops and bulk DME. You'll save 50% or more this way.

I won't claim to be an expert but with many kits costing as low as $20 to $25 I am not sure how you can save 50% or more buying in bulk...what kind of quantites are you purchasing that you are realizing these savings?

Mike

I find that buying the ingredients separately is somewhat more expensive than the kits, but results in far better beer.

Buy bulk.

DME when bought in 50# sacks cost $2.32/lb (inluding shipping)

Hops bought 3#'s at a time cost $0.77/oz (including shipping)

Bulk LME at the LHBS is $2.49/lb or $1.99/lb w/ coupon.

There is no way kits do it for less if you plan ahead.

I'm not trying to poopoo kits here. They are convenient. Grab the box, fill the pot, stir. You can get a brew session done quickly and you can pretty much know the results will be good. It's also an easy way to get a clone of a brew you really like. Please don't get me wrong. I like kits and use them. I just think they can be a barrier in the way of your own creativity and growth as a brewer.

I have switched to Austin Homebrew! I can select the style of beer I want and it comes packaged and ready to go! Prices are right!

I've bought from my LHBS. Great source of info and good recipies. They are happy to modify their "Kits" to my likeing and only charging me for what I buy (I remove Bottleing suggar and yeast as I Keg and have my own yeast). Great service!

I have had great experiences with the kits from Austin Homebrew. It is more fun to make your own recipes though.

midwestsupplies.com so far for me. I live in the midwest, so they are pretty close. Prices are very competitive too.

I've used LHBS, Midwest, Northern and Austin Homebrew. Don't really favor one over the others - they've all been good. And, the times I've had minor issues with an order at Midwest and Northern, they made it right.

At some point, I'll put an order in with Brewmasters Warehouse (though it will be AG).

>>Bulk LME at the LHBS is $2.49/lb or $1.99/lb w/ coupon.

Where do you get LME so cheap?

When I factored in shipping, thats around what Midwest charges

Midwest is really fast & has very good stuff. Not to mention,very good descriptions on their supplies. That makes the site a good reference tool as well! I get as much as I can from my LHBS (JW Dover) in Westlake,OH. About 10 mins up rt90 from me.
I buy separate items to make my extract brews. They come out better than straight up kits. He carries Brewer's Beast kits,sometimes Midwest. But the better the beer from the kit,the more it costs. My wife's Brewer's Best summer ale kit was over $52! I can brew a pale ale for about $30. Hers was 5G,mine was 6G.
He carries extract,grains,other additives,hops,etc. I'm like a kid in a candy store every time I walk in. Wine supplies too. All kinds of odds & ends,& different choices between those. Not a big place,but a lot in a small area.

Latest posts

Back