Taking beer out of the fridge at 38 f

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1ryno

Reaction score
and letting it warm up to try to "secondary it" again.

Will this work?

I realize that since my OG was high, I should have let it sit in the secondary for much longer than the low OG Mr Beer kits.

Will this be possible to do? Or will it turn out skunky?

Are you trying to get rid of a particular flavor that you think the warm secondary will help with? Is it in a carboy/bucket or already bottled? What kind of beer?

One answer is that if you keep it out of the light it won't turn skunky. That is a chemical reaction that is caused by UV light operating on the hop oils. Letting it warm should not cause skunkiness. Keeping it in a warm location for a period of time does help the yeast clean up some of the off flavors. This process is slow at best and being in a cold location slows it even more.

It's you're already bottled you're beer, taking it out will do nothing except make it warm. Any gravity change to your batch will only happen in the primary while you still have a lot of yeast available.

Are you trying to get rid of a particular flavor that you think the warm secondary will help with? Is it in a carboy/bucket or already bottled? What kind of beer?

One answer is that if you keep it out of the light it won't turn skunky. That is a chemical reaction that is caused by UV light operating on the hop oils. Letting it warm should not cause skunkiness. Keeping it in a warm location for a period of time does help the yeast clean up some of the off flavors. This process is slow at best and being in a cold location slows it even more.

Yes to your answer. I wanted to warm it back up so the remaining yeast could clean it up some more.

I tasted some last night and after more time in the fridge... it does seem tolerable now.

I might just charlie mike it through this batch to get it over with.

It's you're already bottled you're beer, taking it out will do nothing except make it warm. Any gravity change to your batch will only happen in the primary while you still have a lot of yeast available.

This isn't quite true. There are a lot of complex chemical reactions going on in beer and if it is bottled and chilled these reactions will still continue but at a much slower pace, perhaps months instead of days. My beers are never chilled until I'm sure they are matured. Stored at room temperature they do just fine, maturing at their own pace. I may chill one or 3 to sample to see if the maturity is where i expect.

The exception to the above is beer that is dry hopped. That is a balancing act as the beer matures at its normal pace but the hop aroma begins to fade fairly quickly, nearly disappearing in afew short months.

Latest posts

Back