First brew coming soon.. some questions now.. :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waskelton4

Reaction score
Hey group..

The UPS tracking page says that my package has reached my hometown so it should be out for delivery today or tomorrow..

I'll probably be brewing next weekend...

My Equipment kit is coming with a 6.5 gal carboy and a bottling bucket w/spigot.

I was considering using the bucket as my primary and then moving to the carboy for secondary but I don't think my bottling bucket comes with lid.

I guess if that is the case I'm in for a single stage fermentation.. if not should i go ahead and do secondary fermentation as well?

also..
I have some liquid yeast on the way.. I assume that should go right into the fridge until brew day.. correct?

I need to do some research on creating a starter also.. That is something that seems useful but at this point I'm trying to decide if the risk of doing it will be worth the reward. Since this is my first batch i'd like to make things as simple as possible.

Thanks!
Will

It's be fine to pitch without a starter for your first brew. Just make sure you take the yeast out of the fridge a couple hours ahead of time.

Looks like single-stage if your bucket has no lid. No big deal, but you'll want to snag a 5-gallon carboy to use as a secondary some time, and then you'll be set with a nice all-glass setup.

cweston said:
It's be fine to pitch without a starter for your first brew. Just make sure you take the yeast out of the fridge a couple hours ahead of time.

Looks like single-stage if your bucket has no lid. No big deal, but you'll want to snag a 5-gallon carboy to use as a secondary some time, and then you'll be set with a nice all-glass setup.

Cool..
Thats what i figured.. just wanted to get reassured.. thanks..

I have two ingredients kits with my shipment so maybe when i order my next couple of kits or set of ingredients i'll try and add a 5 gal carboy and accessories to the list.. (probably a lid with hold for the bucket as well.)

the second kit on its way has dry yeast with it... re: the starter.. is it more important to create a starter with dry yeast than liquid?

thanks for your help!
will

Actually, starters are less critical with dry, because dry yeast packages typically contain a higher number of yeast cells than liquid.

Besides multiplying yeasties, the other function of a starter is to be assured that your yeast is active--that would be the only reason to make a starter from dried yeast.

fantastic..
I'm gonna put the starters on the back burner for now..

now off to check the UPS tracking page again in hopes that my stuff is waiting for me on my doorstep :)

thanks again
Will

Lids are cheap, so if you didn't get one no big deal you can buy one for the next batch. My original kit had two buckets, both had pre-punched lids.

Starters aren't necessary with dried yeasts, I don't bother. Sometimes I'll do a starter with liquid yeast, depends on the target gravity.

I don't care for the idea of using a bottling bucket for a fermenter (though others are OK with it) because I always am concerned about sanitizing the spigot, which has to remain in place for the duration of the ferment. I would say that primary-only will be fine for a few batches (I still use only a primary for my "house brew") until you want to try your hand at some fancier styles that really need a secondary (or even tertiary). I would advise going out and getting a glass carboy for your secondary (mine is six gallons - I like a bit of extra space just in case) when the time comes rather than trying to use your bucket.

I agree with SteveM and think it is better to not use your bottling bucket as a fermenter. Get a glass carboy and be on your way.

As a new guy, I can vouch for doing the primary in a glass carboy. It was awesome to watch, and I didn't have to pop the top off of the plastic pail to watch the action. You'll want to see what's going on, and you can't beat a carboy for that.

If the bottling bucket comes with a lid that seals properly then use it for a primary this time. I have had no problems doing this in the past but i've always let the sanitizer almost 'drip' through the spigot to drain it before use to ensure nothing lurked in it. When done i also made sure it was properly clean and dry afterwards before storage. And always rack it off the primary with a syphon if you try this - don't be tempted to use the tap that's been exposed to the environment for a week and will also pull up some of the sediment too!
At a push if the bottling bucket has a lid that's a bit dodgy seal wise you could always start it in glass, rack to the bottling bucket from primary, put the lid on, quickly sanitize the carboy and then re-rack it back to the carboy for secondary.
A lot of messing though and again potentially risky. Your choice though!:)

Caplan said:
...start it in glass, rack to the bottling bucket from primary, put the lid on, quickly sanitize the carboy and then re-rack it back to the carboy for secondary.
A lot of messing though...

Absolutely. My initial equipment purchase got me a glass carboy and a bucket with a lid, and my intention was always to have the glass as primary, 'cos you gotta see it! It was only after bottling my first brew and finding that after conditioning there was more sediment than I'd rather at the bottom of them, that I began to decant to the bucket after fermentation, sanitise the carboy, and return the brew to it for secondary.

Maybe a little bit of monkeying around, but if your sanitisation procedures are thorough, then there's nowt to be bothered about.

...except that you have to wait until you've bottled to get another brew on! :mug:

Back