Question about using Star San (foam bubbles)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALCA

Reaction score
We were sanitizing some equipment last night (auto siphon, carboy, etc) with star san. I filled up a 5 gallon carboy with water, added 1oz of Star San and let it sit for a minute. I then dipped the auto siphon into the carboy and ran some of the solution through the siphon before I poured the solution out. My question is, when I poured out the solution, it left some clear bubbles behind in the carboy (it was not a residue, just a few bubbles) and it also left some foamy bubbles behind in the auto siphon (again, no residue, just faomy bubbles)...will these bubbles alter the taste of the beer? Should I make sure the carboy and auto siphon are completely dry and free of bubbles before I use them? Thanks in advance.

P.S. The warning label on Star San seems pretty extreme. Exactly how careful should I be when using this stuff? Should I be wearing a HazMat suit, or is this stuff only dangerous in high concentrations?

Nope, starsan is pretty tame. I never wear gloves or anything when I use it. The bubbles won't do anything to the taste/head retention of your beer, just poor it ontop of the bubbles.

well I think that pretty much clears that up for us ALCA.... :D

Thanks guys. I guess we're set Qdog :mug:

One more question...does oxyclean (or in this case the Wal-Mart brand SunOxy) go bad? I used some to clean and it didn't fizz at all. It used to fizz for me. Where did the fizz go? I need the fizz. :confused:

Star-san is very safe, it tastes a little tangy but not too bad (when in normal concentrations) and when the star-san/foam gets mixed in with wort it raises the PH (less acidic) so that it no longer works and the yeast will actually eat it during fermentation.

P.S. The warning label on Star San seems pretty extreme. Exactly how careful should I be when using this stuff? Should I be wearing a HazMat suit, or is this stuff only dangerous in high concentrations?

The warnings on the label of the Star-San bottle are in reference to the concentrate at full strength, not to a properly diluted solution of concentrate and water. Take the warnings about the concentrate to heart and take the necessary precautions when handling it. Once it's diluted, it's safe to drink, but I wouldn't recommend doing that, LOL!

Back