Recirculating wort in boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTB

Reaction score
I recirculated wort in my boil kettle from my plate chiller to cool down the wort from 200->80 and also for 5 mins during boil (no counter water) to sanitize the chiller.

During boil, this caused a second LARGE THICK hot break and the foam never really died down. Any cause for concern?

Recirculation after boil for cooling from 200->80 before transferring also caused a lot of thick foam. Never had any foam like this at the end of my boil.

Has anyone else experienced this? It was a Russian Imperial Stout.

THANKS!

I recirculated wort in my boil kettle from my plate chiller to cool down the wort from 200->80 and also for 5 mins during boil (no counter water) to sanitize the chiller.

During boil, this caused a second LARGE THICK hot break and the foam never really died down. Any cause for concern?

Recirculation after boil for cooling from 200->80 before transferring also caused a lot of thick foam. Never had any foam like this at the end of my boil.

Has anyone else experienced this? It was a Russian Imperial Stout.

THANKS!

It sounds like cold break. Cold break looks like big goobers, while hot break is small fine goobers. But I don't know how you'd get cold break in boiling wort. In the chilling wort, that would be expected, though.

I am thinking it was recipe related.

I recirculate before the boil leading up to the boil and also much like you do for a bit during the boil. I have never noticed much of a difference in break hot or cold when I have ummm... forgot to recirculate.

Ok thanks.

Yeah probably was cold break when cooling....I have never cooled my wort this fast (first time with plate chiller).

During the boil, could have been recipe related, the wort was some of the darkest I've brewed.

Also, it was just kind of just shooting in there from the top of pot, maybe I should submerge the tube into wort when recirculating so there isn't so much impact.

Back