Finally can say I found an "off" flavor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I brewed myself a basic brewers best hefe kit on my birthday on may 25th. It has been a while and I know they say Hefe's are better young. The first few I popped open had a really big bannana flavor. Then a week or two later I had some more the flavor mellowed out obviously.

This weekend I brough a six pack of it up the pocono mountains with me. Threw them in the fridge on friday night. I popped one open about 12 - 14 hours later. I noticed there was no bannana flavor at all really. Tried another and the same. Both had a wierd taste to them. I couldn't describe it it was more of a bitter taste def not hoppy. The beers wern't as refreshing as they normally were.

Then the next after noon I drove back home around two hours away put the beers back in the fridge. I popped another one open about 2 hours later. Wow it tasted amazing. Perfect balance of carbonation and bannana. :ban:

I'm not sure if it is just the incononsistentcy of the bottles or the fact that the temperature dropped when I took the bottles home since they were in the car for about an hour or two. Am I not letting the beer sit in the fridge long enough?? or was it from the beers bouncing around in a 6 pack container in the car and the yeast getting all shaken up?

Sounds like the sediment was mixed in, and the bitter taste was the yeast. I love my wheat beers "mit hefe" when they're young, but for some reason the older ones just don't taste right that way. Maybe yeasts that are still working or just quit taste better than long-dormant yeasts.

Yea it was really strange. Sometimes they pour out nice and clear and other times real cloudy. Thats probrably from the way I pour the bottles sometimes.:cross:

Back