Effect of temp drift during the mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimbii

Reaction score
So I could do a little experimentation on some future brews but was wondering if anyone already has this knowledge.

Would these 2 scenarios result in a wort with the same amount of fermentable sugars and achieve the same attenuation assuming they are the exact same brews with all details around OG, ferm temps, yeast, etc being the same?

1) 60 min mash with temp rock steady at 154 for the full 60 min

2) 60 min mash with mash temp drifting from 157-158 at the beginning of the mash and ending at 154 when the timer hits 60 min.

Seems like my mashes are dropping by 3-4 degrees over 60 minutes. I'm also thinking that the attenuation levels I've been seeing are telling me that scenario #2 will produce a similar attenuation to scenario #1. Basically, I think the ending temperature of the mash is what really matters (within reason of course). Thoughts?

I'm curious as well since it's gotten cold i'm thinking I will be running in to the same problem with temperature drops.

They'll be different. Now to what extent is a different question. The higher temps will certainly start to denature the beta enzymes that could/would work in the lower ranges. I think the difference would be more dramatic between a mash steady at 150 and one that drifts from 157 down to 150. It's not just the end temperature that matters. In fact I'd say the mash-in temperature matters most, since most of the conversion is done in the first 15-20 mins.

Back