Racking small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Reaction score
As I read a lot of threads, I'm noticing that a lot of people are doing some 1 gal experimental recipes. That inspired me to do a 1 gal mead, and I've got plans for a 1 gal wild fermentation of a local cider. So my question is what is the best technique I should use for racking these small batches?

In my 5 gal beer batches I use a racking cane, syphon hose and bottle filler. I put the cane in the bucket, fill the tube and bottle filler with water, then use gravity and suction to start the flow into a sauce pan that I'll dump. That loss in volume not a big deal in a 5 gal batch, but in a 1 gal batch the racking cane would be sticking out the top and I'd lose a noticeable volume.

I'm assuming that simply pouring it into the next 1 gal container would result in excessive oxygen exposure, and potentially ruin the batch, correct?

Depending on how well-stocked your LHBS is you could purchase a mini auto-siphon, which are made specifically for use with 1 gallon jugs. They're great to have and don't require priming like your setup.

Both the local stores I go to are pretty well stocked. The one does more mail order, than walk in retail, so if he doesn't have it I'm sure he could get it. I looked up the prices online and it looks like they run between 9 and 13 dollars. Not bad, so maybe I'll see about picking one up in the near future.

No responses about pouring between containers, huh? That must be a really bad idea. What if I was able to insert the end of a funnel into a rubber tube. Run the tube to the bottom the secondary and rest the funnel on the rim of the jug. Then pour from the primary down the side of the funnel. The tube should eliminate splashing in the bottom of the secondary, and as long as I'm careful it shouldn't disturb the sediment in the primary.

Well pouring is a bad idea, think insta-oxidized. And using a funnel wouldn't be any better, the vortex created in a funnel will actually be adding even more oxygen to your brew before it enters your safe tubing section. Basically, you don't want to pour your brew unless its into the primary or into the pint a few months down the road.

I should have figured pouring was a bad idea, from the lack of responses. Thanks for the info.

Back