Did I ruin my prime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
When I dumped my boiled priming solution into the bottling bucket it was sorta yellowish looking, like it was starting to caramelize a bit.

Am I good to go or hosed?

If it starts turning color,it's caramelizing. you've gone too far at that point. Imo,you'll loose some carbonation since some of the sugars will be converted to long chain sugar molecules that yeast can't matabolize. Next time,boil the water,remove from heat & stir in priming sugar. Cover & steep/let cool down while you prep the fermenter,etc. It'll stay clear & more fermentable that way.

It's not like it all won't get eaten by the yeast. But that part that caramelized won't. Just depends on how much "color" you got as to how much won't.

By the prime calculators I was slight above the recommended range for the style APA, so hopefully it'll be just about right then. (5gal @ 5oz @ 68F).

Back