Call for judges: Siciliano's 9th Annual Homebrew Contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnbikerbrewer

Reaction score
This is copied from an email I already sent to some potential judges.

Greetings everyone!

It is that time of year again where the 9th Annual Siciliano's Market Homebrew Contest is upon us! Thanks to many of you, last year's judging was success and we are hoping to build on that success with this year's contest. I am expecting over 200 entries for this year's contest (last year was 185) so my goal is to have at least 30 judges and 10 stewards for this competition. The event will be BJCP sanctioned so participants will receive credit for judging or stewarding.

This year the judging for the contest will take place on Sunday, April 22nd starting at Noon, so judges and stewards should arrive between 11:00am and 11:30am. The venue for judging this year will be Brewery Vivant. Jason Spaulding & Jacob Derylo have been kind enough to allow us to use space back in the brewery to judge this contest.

For those unfamiliar with the location of Brewery Vivant, their address is:

925 Cherry Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49506

To properly prepare for this judging session, I will request that anyone interested in judging to please commit via email by April 7th. If you are unsure at that time, inform me of your status and when that status changes. I want to make sure that I not only have a proper amount of judges and stewards but also proper accommodations for those judging and stewarding.

If anyone feels so inclined to pass this along to any other person who may be interested in judging or stewarding for our competition, it would be appreciated.

For those interested in submitting a beer into the contest, the entry window for competition is from Wednesday, March 7th through Wednesday, April 18th. Entry fee will be $5 and there will be a limit of one entry per person (please no entering of extra beers under other people's names). Entries will be made and judged in accordance with the BJCP guidelines.

I hope to see all of you who are interested on the 22nd of April and if anyone has any questions about the judging or the contest, please don't hesitate to ask.

My contact information is:
Greg Johnson
Email:[email protected]
Cell: (313) 409-1191
Work: (616) 453-9674

Do you need to be BJCP certified to judge/steward?

It is not necessary to be certified to judge in this competition. The BJCP Comp Center has several documents about judging beer. If you feel you are able to shelve personal biases about beer and judge a beer based on how its adheres to the style, then by all means let me know if you want to judge. Also, I try my best to pair up the most inexperienced judges with the most experienced to balance everything out.

I cannot, in good faith, be a beer judge at this time. I might be able and willing to steward, though. I've been wanting to check out how a competition works for a while. I'll check the schedule and try to fit it in with end of school stuff (daughter graduating this spring).

Just to be clear, Brewery Vivant is providing free beer during the judging right?

I cannot, in good faith, be a beer judge at this time. I might be able and willing to steward, though. I've been wanting to check out how a competition works for a while. I'll check the schedule and try to fit it in with end of school stuff (daughter graduating this spring).

Just to be clear, Brewery Vivant is providing free beer during the judging right?

I wish that could be the case. While no free beer will be provided during the judging, we will be providing food and at least one beer post judging to help compensate, maybe a couple goodies to take home as well. If you're interested in judging or stewarding, email me at [email protected]

Homer if you can make it you should come down for this. I have judged this the last 3 or 4 years and it's always a good time.

I'm signed up. Looking forward it, but I hope they can get some more judges signed up. I only wanted to steward the first time! If they can't get a few more, I may be pressed into service.

Hmm... That might actually be ok. "But honey, I HAVE to drink all this beer. I'm in TRAINING!" lol!

I'm excited about the party this year too. It's always a great time. I should get a BR or RC area club together and make it a group outing.

Oh I would love to. It's just a big drive for me and getting a hotel for the weekend...meh can't do it every week ;-)

Back