Will this work for a dual keg kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't seem to have a freezer section, so it might actually work. Check out the internal dimensions and determine whether it has enough space for two kegs.

I just got back from lowe's, I went to take a look and measure. It does have a very small freezer section in the top corner but it looks like it could just be taken off. Inside it is 28" tall and has 10" of spaces from the the front to the hump in the step up in the back that the keg(s) could sit on in the bottom.

If it has a freezer section, the freezer itself is almost certainly the cooling element in which case you can't just take it off, and it's very challenging to move it elsewhere or flatten it out to make room. If you screw up once and it springs a leak, your fridge will be ruined, period. There is a reason so many of us pony up the extra money for the sanyo 4912's - because they are the right fridge for the job, and you don't have to worry about destroying them just to use them. (well, unless you go carelessly drilling for a draft tower...)

I'd be leary of anything under the 4.9 cu/ft of a Sanyo 491x. The difference in cost is minimal-the success rate is awesome.

But if you want to gamble-let the internet know how it comes out. You could save countless others 20 or 30 bucks.

Yeah, I just wish that lowes carried that one bc my buddy works there and he gets 20% for december and I have a $50 dollar gift card. Owell, I will get the sanyo.

Tell me what yal think about this...

Get the sanyo and http://cgi.ebay.com/Twin-Tower-Kege...ryZ38172QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

the sanyo is 210 plus like 350 for the keg kit...sheezz i wasn't wanting to spend 500+ dollars for this venture.

Or, I might just go with this...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=128320-53913-LCH0701PW&lpage=none

I want to get a kit but I would like but, If I go with the freezer which I leaning toward Im not gonna get the tower just build a collar.

kjones said:
Yeah, I just wish that lowes carried that one bc my buddy works there and he gets 20% for december and I have a $50 dollar gift card. Owell, I will get the sanyo.

Tell me what yal think about this...

Get the sanyo and http://cgi.ebay.com/Twin-Tower-Kegerator-Keg-Kit-for-Homebrew-Beer_W0QQitemZ150155811538QQihZ005QQcategoryZ38172QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

the sanyo is 210 plus like 350 for the keg kit...sheezz i wasn't wanting to spend 500+ dollars for this venture.

Or, I might just go with this...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=128320-53913-LCH0701PW&lpage=none

I want to get a kit but I would like but, If I go with the freezer which I leaning toward Im not gonna get the tower just build a collar.

with some scrounging around you can get a cheaper keg set up than what you've posted.

2 – five gallon ball lock refurbished kegs. (20 bucks each)

1 - Brand new 5 pound CO2 cylinder (most of us guys have an extra laying around you could pick up on the cheap maybe 30 bucks or so - who cares if it's not brand new)

1 – 2 Keg CO2 kit (2 way valves - disconnects - tubing - accessories: $100)

1 - Dual Tap, all metal, Chrome Draft or Homebrew Beer Tower kit (i've seen ppl make these and they look awesome - two faucets $15 each - no they're not perlicks - some pvc - come pvc paint a little time - bingo)

1 - Brand New TapRite dual gauge CO2 regulator: (refurb'd one will run you $20 local)

also keep an eye out in the free section of craigs list greenville, and freecycle greenville - i see those type fridges going sometimes - and a plethora of chest freezers for free or cheap

brewhead said:
with some scrounging around you can get a cheaper keg set up than what you've posted.

2 – five gallon ball lock refurbished kegs. (20 bucks each)

1 - Brand new 5 pound CO2 cylinder (most of us guys have an extra laying around you could pick up on the cheap maybe 30 bucks or so - who cares if it's not brand new)

1 – 2 Keg CO2 kit (2 way valves - disconnects - tubing - accessories: $100)

1 - Dual Tap, all metal, Chrome Draft or Homebrew Beer Tower kit (i've seen ppl make these and they look awesome - two faucets $15 each - no they're not perlicks - some pvc - come pvc paint a little time - bingo)

1 - Brand New TapRite dual gauge CO2 regulator: (refurb'd one will run you $20 local)

also keep an eye out in the free section of craigs list greenville, and freecycle greenville - i see those type fridges going sometimes - and a plethora of chest freezers for free or cheap

I think I will go with this freezer that i listed above.... bc I can get in for like 100 bucks

and I am not gonna go with the tower I am gonna build I wood collar so I dont need that anymore...I will try and come to that next meeting jan 3 i think it was you said...maybe I can get some help with the setup there. When you say local for the regulator where? I have trouble with setting all this stuff up bc I have never seen a setup and I have to order everything, anyway thanks for your help

brewhead said:

Where are you located, I've never been able to find CO2 tanks for less that $70 empty?

Update!!

I finally got a freezer, I got one given to me the other day and it is pretty big, I think I could put like 3 kegs plus have room left. So, that leads me to my question, do any of you guys fement in the same freezer that you use for your kegerator? I want to start keeping my fermenting temps controlled, but if I keep kegs in it I don't know bc, I do only ales so it would be at like 60-65 degrees which would be to warm for my kegs...

congrats now you can just buy a small freezer and use that for temp control with a ranco or find your local food service unit(i'm talking vending and pop machines here) and talk on of the repair techs into swapping out thermometers for you

Do you guys that use the sanyo 4912 for a kegerator did you choose to add a temp controller or do you just use a setting on the fridge.

Back