Beer Tasting Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foamy

Reaction score
While my latest Weizen settles we're hosting a tasting this weekend. Can't stretch their palates too far but I'm thinking of contrasting a lager to several ales - IPA, nut brown, wheat, porter or stout. Let me know your favorites! :mug:

Converting American light lager into craft beer enthusiasts? Nice work! I've been able to sway people with dark beers that "don't taste strong" and are surprisingly flavorful to those who think darker = stronger. To contrast the big three's yellow fizzy water with true pilsner goodness here are some of my faves:

1. Crisp by Sixpoint
2. Good Chit Pilsner by Rogue (Farms or whatever it's called)
3. Classic for the style Pilsner Urquell if you have access to a freah imported case

I find more people are turned away initially from double IPAs and other acquired tastes. But some ales, like brown ales and stouts tend to surprise newcomers. Some brews to consider...
1. Oatmeal Stout (locally I have Brown's, but Sam Smith's is awesome)
2. Brown Ale (Smuttynose brown, Sixpoint Brownstone, or Alesmith nut brown)
3. Porter (Siera Nevada, Russian River, Anchor)

Just some thoughts. You could always sneak a RIS or IIPA in at the end of the tasting too!

Weizen settles? Did you mean that literally? You don't really want to settle a weizen. It's all of that yeast and protein goodness that give a weizen it's taste.

Thanks all, looking forward to the day I can share my primaries and secondaries! This weizen finished in 3 days, most active since I blew the airlock on my first batch (a stout). The Weihenstephan bugs had a blast in there, resting fat and happy on the bottom now! Hope to find some growlers of your ideas, or good locals. Slainte

Back