Priming sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggaleo

Reaction score
I have a couple batches going and I have some leftover dme, I was thinking to use it for priming.. Papazian says to use 1 cup of dme for priming and I don't recall if he mentions the krausen ring in the bottle, as is mentioned on palmers how to brew. Is it significant? What if I were to mix dme and corn sugar?

Dextrose ferments all the way out,DME doesn't. That's why you use more DME. I'd use dextrose before DME for priming. Dex is cheaper.

Yeah.. I'm more trying to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the dme that i have laying around.. I know it's supposed to add more body and head retention where corn sugar would reduce it while boiling... at bottling it's probably not enough to notice? If you use say wheat dme opposed to plain dme or corn sugar.. is there going to be taste or clarity difference?

I'd think there'd be a lil bit of taste difference in the overall complexity. Wheat DME messing with clarity a lil bit. just use it for starters & dex for priming. Dme is more expensive,so a better use for it would be more frugel.

I started with dextrose many years ago and it worked fine. Then I switched and only used DME for priming when I would bottle beers. I did it primarily to keep any non-barley-derived sugars out of my beers (idealistic I know :D ), but I also felt like I noticed better head retention, finer bubbles in head, and finer carbonation bubbles as well. How much of this was just "imagining", I don't know but certainly some of it has to be. As for using wheat DME in a non-wheat beer, I have a feeling there will be almost no discernible differences from "regular" DME, but then again maybe you'll experience something new and profound :D

I've used honey for priming meads and have noticed different results as well. Larger carbonation bubbles, no head retention, champagne-like finish, but I'm talking about mead so maybe that just comes with the territory.

I would say: Give DME a shot. Let us know what YOU think. It's not going to hurt anything, that's for sure.

I've had great results with corn sugar. Very fine long lasting carbonation. Just let it sit for 3 weeks in bottle and you'll be straight. One day I'll try something else, but at the moment regular old priming sugar does the trick.

So.. do you notice this krausen ring in the bottle pretty bad or it's not that noticable

Usually I use DME to prime my British beers, and dextrose for my American ones. But it's really just for fun; I can't say as I notice a difference either way.

At two weeks fridge time,beers I primed with dextrose have a very thick fine creamy head. Some bottles poured so thick that when I jostled the glass a bit,the head didn't move on top. But the beer moved underneith. Fine bubbled carbonation that in some bottles,produced a bubble tornado in the center. The last batch,I started getting what looked like a nitro pour. Even Dale's pale ale did the same in the same glasses. Pull my trigger,I get bigger,this is gettin fun!...

So the general consensus is shut the **** up and bottle your beer.. got it

So the general consensus is shut the **** up and bottle your beer.. got it

:D ... pretty much. Or, just do what you like and enjoy your beer when it's ready :mug:

I've never had a krausen ring in my bottles when priming with DME but I've always spun them after a week of priming to knock down any yeast that settled on the side of the bottle.

Back