Bottle storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msujack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch right now (well, actually its brewing itself, I am just looking at a bucket with a lid on it) and collecting bottles for my first batch. I have 24 Sam Adams bottles at the moment and will either be drinking another case of it or ordering some in the next week or two to get the good stuff conditioning.

I decided to see how many bottles fit in an old milk crate as I have two laying around. A perfect 24. This may not be news to most of you, but it was an awesome discovery for me so I thought I would share for those who want something sturdier than cardboard, but don't have wooden crates.

I store my beers/empties in sturdy craft 12 pack boxes. The Leinenkugel's 12 pack boxes laso have separators,& extra flaps to firm it up that tab together. I also use 12pk boxes from magic hat,dundee's,great lakes brewing,& labatt cases. They heavier than those cheap pasteboard ones from BMC's. They hold up just fine if not abused in some way.
But milk crates are good,as long as you cover the stack of bottles to keep the light off them.

just my $.02, but i'd go the route of buying the bottles with beer already in them so you get to drink some beer in your efforts to save bottles! i always find it more rewarding than buying bottles from the LHBS.:ban:

noticed you're in Waukegan, i lived in Vernon Hills for several years before i moved up here! :mug:

I'm new to beer berwing as well. I've purchased a case of 12 oz bottles (24 for about 10 bucks) and 3 cases of 22 oz bottles (12 for about 10 bucks). I also found the bottle of American Champagne (24 oz) works great for beer storage. I've only got one of those, but hope to get more.

I also picked up several cases of clear Miller bottles. These are older bottles with no labels. I'm making sure to keep these bottles in a dark location.

I'm not sure I'll go the keg root, not wanting to add a 2nd refrig.

I've had pretty good luck with bottles. just started collecting them when I started my first batch. After seeing that they want $15 or more for a case of empties and seeing that Costco had a mixed case of their own (6 belgans, 6 IPAs, 6 Pale Ales and 6 Ambers) for not much more it was a no-brainer there. Also mentioned around work that I was looking for bottles and got 20 more donated from various people.

We also have an older Coke machine at work that uses the glass bottles. They got the mexican Coke in the old fashion curved bottles. I've been grabbing those as well. I know they are clear and light is not a friend of beer, but in a pinch on bottling day it would be better than wasting any. If there is a paint or something you could put on the bottles to protect the beer?

I always keep my bottled beer downstairs. Never had a problem with skunking. Though, I'm always looking for better cases. Had my father-in-law make me up a great six-pack carrier from wood for when I brew a few brews over to friends. Looks nice and old-timey. :)

just my $.02, but i'd go the route of buying the bottles with beer already in them so you get to drink some beer in your efforts to save bottles! i always find it more rewarding than buying bottles from the LHBS.:ban:

noticed you're in Waukegan, i lived in Vernon Hills for several years before i moved up here! :mug:

I will probably buy filled bottles as they are fun to empty, and maybe a small quantity of empties from the LHBS as I have a Mr. Brew going with 2 gallons on top of the 5 gallons I have going in the bucket. I don't know if I will get the time to drink 48 beers without some help before bottling happens.

I just moved to Waukegan from Chicago and love it. Having space and a garage, basement, etc is worth the extra commute to the city any day in my book.:mug:

I just moved to Waukegan from Chicago and love it. Having space and a garage, basement, etc is worth the extra commute to the city any day in my book.:mug:

yeah, it's nice up there. i was looking at a couple places just north of 'downtown' waukegan several years ago. i really liked living in lake co., nice, suburban but still really convenient to commute to the city.

as far as bottles go, i'm sure you'll find someone willing to help out emptying them. the weekends coming up, and i've done this myself, invite a few buddies over and tell them the beers on you as long as they rinse out the bottles for ya.! :mug: just watch out, cuz those buddies will surely be back shortly after bottling day hoping to help you collect more bottles for your next batch!

yeah, it's nice up there. i was looking at a couple places just north of 'downtown' waukegan several years ago. i really liked living in lake co., nice, suburban but still really convenient to commute to the city.

as far as bottles go, i'm sure you'll find someone willing to help out emptying them. the weekends coming up, and i've done this myself, invite a few buddies over and tell them the beers on you as long as they rinse out the bottles for ya.! :mug: just watch out, cuz those buddies will surely be back shortly after bottling day hoping to help you collect more bottles for your next batch!

I moved to the historic district just north of downtown on Gillett; great neighborhood. I have an old fashioned Beefsteak this weekend I am attending so it will be tough to get enough longnecks emptied at home.

Around me the empties from the LHBS or twist off's with beer already in them is much cheaper than alot of the pry-off's with beer in them....boy do I have a lot invested in bottles.:D

When I needed bottles, I hosted a poker night and fed everyone, but there was one condition: everybody had to bring beer with pop-off caps. It worked great, had fun playing cards and got all the bottles I needed. One side note is depending on what style capper you have make sure, before bottling day, that the bottles will work with it. I have a "winged style capper" not a pull down and had trouble with some bottles.

Back