Tips to guard against wind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid wind is stopping me from brewing. 15 mph with gusts up to 25. Any way to combat this?

Build a make shift wind break. We have a bunch of coolers that I started stacking to block the wind. Sometimes though it just becomes impractical when the summer storms begin to run on through every afternoon.

I don't have the means for electric, and I'm brewing up 10 gal today. Or at least planned to. I do tend to use the garage when it's windy but I still have to keep an extra door open for ventilation a that causes a strong cross wind too.

Make a cone shield out of 2 foot wide aluminum roofing flashing. drape the flashing around the keg or kettle, shape it like a cone tight at the top, but not too tight cut tabs all along the top to hold 1 inch off the kettle prop the v of the cone over the tap. It will block the wind and double your heating speed (Yes it will- because the heat will run up the side of the keg and out the top instead of blowing away) PS: you will find it also works wonders keeping the heat in even in the garage. I will see If I have pictures.
A roll of flashing is about 15.00 bucks and it will do 2 kegs.

I usually take some old landscape paver's (cement) and make an enclosed area around the burner. Usually works pretty well, and the stones heat up, acting like a heat source too.

This is what they look like.

PICT1855.jpg

PICT1854.jpg

6" to 8" stove pipe connector fits perfectly on the SQ14. You have to shorten it a little, but the diameter change is perfect...

This is what they look like.

Those Look like the most potentially dangerous piece of equipment I have ever seen...not to knock how well it works...lol. ;) Another thing I have seen that is similar to this is get a large galvanized trash can and cut a hole in the bottom then slide it over the burner+ pot. (You may also need to pop some holes in the sides for air to get to the flame...)

If you were going to invest $ in a solution, I would advise to up the cost just a little and make a heat stick. I think I have about $25 in mine...http://www.cedarcreeknetworks.com/heatstick.htm

Another thing I have been looking REALLY long and hard at is a golf umbrella/shelter.(If they had these in Real Tree I would already own one...lol) They have them at Sam's Club (Probably a lot of other places too.) I like this because it can be used for other things than brewing.

Back