Zip Ties in MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hokie_Brewer

Reaction score
I couldn't find some SS hose clamps to secure the SS braid inside the mash tun. I found some zip ties in the electrical section, they are rated to 185*F, which should be high enough. You think the heating of the zip ties would be OK? Thanks

I can't see why it would hurt. I'm sure people are going to try and tell you that it will leach into your beer, but something that small shouldn't pose too much of a risk.
You may find yourself replacing them quite often though, as zip ties tend to get brittle after a little while, I would imagine temperature would compound that.
I was able to find SS hose clamps at Lowes, but you have to buy a pack of them.

I've found the ss hose clamps not to be 100% stainless. They have tended to rust around the screws that tighten the clamp.

You have to get expensive American made clamps. A good hardware or plumbing supply should have them. The ones from Home depot are china crap and not all stainless, I have had them rust too.

I use 2 little ones to hold a SS screen hop/trub blocker in BK. They work fine for that. Don't think I'd use them in a pressurized hose situation though.

Back