so here is where I am confused-- the transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homedrinker

Reaction score
thanks for your answers to my last question. Tried searching for a previous thread to find this answer but could not find it. I am wondering how to transfer my beer from my carboy (in a week from now) into my bottling bucket with the spigot. I read all this stuff about not letting oxygen into it but it feels like there is no way to avoid this from happening. Should i pour slowly and let the beer sit in the bottling bucket for a day or two to let excess sediment settle to bottom before applying the priming sugar to the bucket?? thanks again sorry for the newb questions, hopefully soon i can help you guys with some questions

you'll want to get a racking cane and tubing to transfer the beer. this way, it will fill from the bottom and you won't get as much oxygen introduced. i would avoid pouring it at all costs. order an autosiphon or search DIY autosiphon on here for ideas. pour in the priming solution, rack (siphon) in your beer and bottle all in one session, if you let it sit for a few days, the yeast will eat up the priming sugar and you won't get any carbonation in the bottles.

you'll want to get a racking cane and tubing to transfer the beer. this way, it will fill from the bottom and you won't get as much oxygen introduced. i would avoid pouring it at all costs. order an autosiphon or search DIY autosiphon on here for ideas. pour in the priming solution, rack (siphon) in your beer and bottle all in one session, if you let it sit for a few days, the yeast will eat up the priming sugar and you won't get any carbonation in the bottles.

cool thanks. I got a racking cane/auto siphon with my kit, now i just need to figure out how in the hell to use it!!

SIPHON...do not pour your beer from the primary into the bottling! That will create oxygen and ruin your fermented beer...Do you have an easy siphon??? Did you buy a brewing kit? The siphon should have come with your stuff if you did. Oxygen in the wort is created when its splashed around, not when you just open the fermenter (if thats what your thinking).

Stick the AS in the water. The hose end in the bucket. Pump the AS by drawing the smaller cane up and down until the siphon starts and then hold it and just wait til it's finished.

it's really easy, just sanitize it, put it in the beer, make a few pumping motions with the thinner racking cane and it will automatically start siphoning (make sure the tube is located where you want the beer to go before pumping), thus the 'auto'siphon.

cool thanks. I got a racking cane/auto siphon with my kit, now i just need to figure out how in the hell to use it!!

Mine works like a pump, but you only need to pump once or twice. Attach a tube to the curved end and run the other end of the tube to the bottom of the empty vessel.

Place the full vessel above the empty vessel. Put the other end of the auto siphon in the full vessel just above the yeast/trub layer with the little plastic knob on the end still on. Pull out on the curved bit, then push back in. Repeat until the flow begins. Once it starts, just wait until everything is transferred!

EDIT: Don't forget to sanitize everything first!

I've been wondering something similar. I think that all the literature is a little vague but I see people clearing it up. Unless I'm wrong, when it says you don't want to get oxygen in, what it really means is that you don't want to make a lot of sudden, big, whooshing movements of your fermented beer that would oxygenate it...like pouring from fermenter to corboy, or filling from the top with a siphon. When you pop the top on the fermenter or the carboy, you're not really letting a ton of oxygen in, but if you were to start mixing it all around, you'd get oxygen in there. it's just like if you had a bottle of finished, carbonated beer and you started shaking it up...it would taste awful after.

yeah, don't worry about transferring it between vessels as long as you're racking it. the real introduction of oxygen comes with the exchange of bubbles on the surface of the liquid. like when you bubble or shake the wort, it's the air/oxygen in the headspace and to a certain degree the air you actually put in it that is oxygenating (i learned this on a recent episode of brewstrong). as long as it's racked properly, there's nothing to sweat about.

Racking is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Practice it a few times moving water from one bucket to another (or from a bucket into the bathtup if you only have one) before you try it on the real beer and it will reduce any anxiety.

Read revvy's bottling sticky thread. Many many pieces of wisdom there.

If you pull the auto siphon high enough before you press down you'll only need to do it once. I always siphon an entire bucket of oxyclean to clean and then I siphon a bucket of starsan. This way I know its clean and sanitized.

One thing no one ever mentions vinyl tubing tastes like rubber at first, running lots of hot water through it multiple times will ensure that you get that taste out. Same with new auto siphon.

Back