80 years later, how will you celebrate?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On December 5, 1933 the 21st amendment was signed abolishing the 18th amendment which ended prohibition. Tomorrow is exactly 80 years since that historic day, how will you celebrate our freedom to drink as we please?!

On December 5, 1933 the 21st amendment was signed abolishing the 18th amendment which ended prohibition. Tomorrow is exactly 80 years since that historic day, how will you celebrate our freedom to drink as we please?!

I will celebrate with a beer. For breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, brunch, lunch, snack, predinner warm up, dinner, dessert and maybe for a night cap.

I will celebrate with a beer. For breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, branch, lunch, snack, predinner warm up, dinner, dessert and maybe for a night cap.

Now that is commitment people! I have never heard of so many meals in a day, let alone drinking points in the day! :rockin:

Homer: Alcohol is a way of life! My way of life, and I aim to keep it!
Chief Wiggum: Sounds like you have a plan.

My plan is to drink...alcohol...

HAPPY 80 YEARS OF PROHIBITING PROHIBITION! Not drinking anything yet but I will go gaze in wonder at my beer cellar this morning, thankful that we can enjoy such a great hobby legally! :mug:

HAPPY 80 YEARS OF PROHIBITING PROHIBITION! Not drinking anything yet but I will go gaze in wonder at my beer cellar this morning, thankful that we can enjoy such a great hobby legally! :mug:

I'll drink to that...seriously, that isn't a coffee in my mug this morning. :fro:

I can look to my right & see my stacks of 12 packs & cases of all my beers from the comp hutch. Which is next to my fermenter stand. 4 different beers & counting...going for 2nd coffee atm.

I wish I could get away with that haha Maybe a lunch beer is in order for today :cross:

They say the first step to waking up is bourbon barrel breakfast stout in your cup!
mmmm home brew.
F-U Temperance Movement! Go get me another beer!
:mug:

I'll just have to force myself to have an HB IPA later to celebrate! Although the Whiskely is tastin pretty good so far...

Sadly, it looks like some cities in Alaska do not permit home brewing. While it is legal, the legality of it is overridden because the local option is exercised. I learned that when some member here said it was a class 3 felony to brew. Sad day for sure.

All that said, I won't enjoy a brew tonight but I will make up for it in numbers tomorrow. Promise. :D

Sadly, it looks like some cities in Alaska do not permit home brewing. While it is legal, the legality of it is overridden because the local option is exercised. I learned that when some member here said it was a class 3 felony to brew. Sad day for sure.

All that said, I won't enjoy a brew tonight but I will make up for it in numbers tomorrow. Promise. :D

I read that thread, I couldnt believe that. Not only are they outlawing homwbrewing, but the government controls the liquor store and make a hefty profit from it. I will be drinking some HB's in honor of him tonight :mug:

I read that thread, I couldnt believe that. Not only are they outlawing homwbrewing, but the government controls the liquor store and make a hefty profit from it. I will be drinking some HB's in honor of him tonight :mug:

PA Liquor laws are somewhat similar. No six packs or bottles unless you are at a 'bottle shop' that has a bar license and have to tax accordingly. Slowly but surely they are trying to get this all changed.
I think it was last year where state authorities raided a very well known bar called the Memphis Tap Room (which you may of seen on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives) because they were selling beer that wasn't listed on their permit. They had to pay a fine and pay to get each other brew they were selling listed on their permit. It was a shame.

I will perhaps indulge in the first of my 4-pack of GI BCBS to celebrate tonight. Or... I just picked up clown shoes' very angry beast. Or.... one of the piles and stacks of HB I have in the beer fridge.

Or....... All of the above? :drunk:

I will perhaps indulge in the first of my 4-pack of GI BCBS to celebrate tonight. Or... I just picked up clown shoes' very angry beast. Or.... one of the piles and stacks of HB I have in the beer fridge.

Or....... All of the above? :drunk:

My answer is, yes! :cross:

I have the joy of celebrating two "holidays" every year on the 5th, and this one is slightly more awesome, as I was born on December 5th. So I'll have 4 things to celebrate, listed below.
1. I turn 25 today (quarter life!):rockin:
2. 80 years since prohibition ended.:mug:
3. I made eggnog for the first time, and its awesome.:drunk:
4. Been brewing hombrew for just over a year and a month:D

I have the joy of celebrating two "holidays" every year on the 5th, and this one is slightly more awesome, as I was born on December 5th. So I'll have 4 things to celebrate, listed below.
1. I turn 25 today (quarter life!):rockin:
2. 80 years since prohibition ended.:mug:
3. I made eggnog for the first time, and its awesome.:drunk:
4. Been brewing hombrew for just over a year and a month:D

Looks like you have a lot of drinking ahead of you today sir.:cross: Happy Birthday!

I forgot to post this up here earlier but I enjoyed a HB nut brown ale at lunch today :D

2013-12-05 13.26.36.jpg

I'm gonna watch "The Untouchables" just for the last line in the movie...

Reproter: They say they're going to repeal prohibition. What will you do then?

Elliot Ness: l think l'll have a drink.

Beer #2 for the anniversary today! Later I will be enjoy many jack and cokes at the kstate basketball game, probably more than normal cuz we suck this year

2013-12-05 17.24.18.jpg

Had five jack and cokes at the kstate game tonight, now finishing apfelwein #2 :D I love being a free man!

Had a Sierra Nevada to celebrate repeal, and some homebrew to celebrate my bootlegging great granddad...then just kept drinking...

I celebrated by getting on a plane and leaving Afghanistan. Got to my first stop waiting on another airplane, then went to the bar and had a hooegarten. Should be home in a few days.

I had a couple homebrewed IPAs, a homebrewed schwarzbier, and an Odell Cutthroat Porter. Probably more than I should for a weeknight, but oh well.

Back