APA done...and DELICIOUS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
This was the 3rd beer I've ever brewed, and I can't express how excited I am with the results! I over-carbonated my 1st beer (a dry stout kit), added too much coriander to my 2nd beer (a witbier kit I threw together for my girlfriend), and on lucky number 3, I did away with the kits, and tossed together my own recipe - with some very appreciative help from the members of this forum

I am NOT a hop head, and yet, I love tasting APA's. IPA's are much to much for me and I can usually only stomach 1, maybe 2 before switching. This is the APA recipe I used. If you like beer that tastes like beer, beer that has a hop-citrus body, and a clean finish with a subtle zing, please brew this and pass along any notes you have. My fermentation temperature was between 68-72 degrees. Primary for 1 week, secondary for 1 week, and 3rd carboy for 1 week (to cut down on sediment, which worked out very well). Might have been EVEN better if I could get it colder, but I wouldn't change a thing. Again, I'm pretty proud.

APA By Shane Phillips – 5 Gallons, 60 min. Boil, Steep grains @ 148-155⁰ for 45min.

MALTS
½ lbs. Cara Pills (5.9%)
½ pilsner malt (5.9%)
½ lbs. Honey Malt (5.9%)
1 lb. flacked Wheat (11.8%)
6 lbs. Extra Light Dry Malt Extract (70.6%)

HOPS
1 oz. Cascade (60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (20 min.)
1 oz. Citra (5 min.)
½ oz. Citra (secondary)

ADJUNCTS
½ oz. Diced Fresh Ginger Root (add 3 days into secondary)

YEAST
Safale U.S. 05 (S-05)

I owe my success to the good people on HomebrewTalk, as well as Doug from Apocalypse Brewing here in good'ol Virginia. Huzzah!

Oh, and I'm not sure what the ABV is. I messed up the OG, so based on the grains/malts used, somewhere between 6-7% is a fair guess.

Latest posts

Back