Easy Hefe Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim1970

Reaction score
I am looking for a good Hefe recipe for my 2nd batch. I need something that is all extract or extract with steeping.

Also, will I need a starter since I will be (more than likely) using a liquid yeast? And will by 6.8 gallon carboy be large enough to prevent blow off in the first stages of fermentation, or do I need to get a blow off hose?

You're carboy will be fine as long as you don't top off too much.

Easy Hefe recipe

Take 4 - 1 gal jugs and place in a freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing.
Warm 1.5 gals of water.
Add 1 lb DME. Dissolve.
At boil add 1-1.5 oz hops (3.4-3.8%AA).
Boil 45 mins. Remove from heat.
Add and dissolve 5 lbs DME.
Let sit for 15 mins.
Pour into primary and sparge hops.
Top off to 5.25 gals.
Take temp and hydrometer readings.
Add starter.

You know the rest...:D

What type of DME? Also what type of yeast? Can I get by without a starter, or do I need one?

Thanks

Tim

Wheat DME. Hefewiezen yeast. White Labs 300, 351 or 380. Wyeast 3056 or 3068. A starter would be good, not absolutely necessary, but better.

As soon as the original post was there I knew you were all over it. :D

I think when we both hear "Hefeweizen" we assume hefeweizen yeast, since it isn't one without it. And the wheat has to be there for the same reason.

Brewsmith said:
As soon as the original post was there I knew you were all over it. :D

I think when we both hear "Hefeweizen" we assume hefeweizen yeast, since it isn't one without it. And the wheat has to be there for the same reason.
Only when I'm logged on and can get away from more important matters like W-O-R-K!

You're right, when I hear "Hefe Weizen" there is only one!!

One of my PEEVES -- it's a Hefe Weizen, not American Weizen! That's an American Wheat...there has to be a reason why the Germans don't brew an "Amerikanisches Wheat"??? :D :D

Nach eine weiss, Bitte! Vielen dank! :mug:

Here is a simple extract with specialty grains Hefe recipe from my LHBS. I love this more and more every time I make it. It is a real fan favorite around here.

untitled.jpg

eyeswideopen said:
What's the purpose of the 1-gallon jugs in the freezer??
I only boil 1.5 gals. They are for topping off and aerating...they are a bit frozen when I take them out of the freezer so the temps go down into the 60s and I can pitch my yeast right after taking my readings.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I only boil 1.5 gals. They are for topping off and aerating...they are a bit frozen when I take them out of the freezer so the temps go down into the 60s and I can pitch my yeast right after taking my readings.:D

That explains only boiling 1lb of DME for the 45 mins... hop utilization right?

I have brewed the "Forest Falls Hefe-weizen" extract receipt several times and really enjoyed it. I've yet to brew an all-grain wheat beer that tasted as good. I use 3068 yeast.

http://***********/feature/401.html

omniscientomar said:
That explains only boiling 1lb of DME for the 45 mins... hop utilization right?
Yes, according to Papazian's book you get the max hop utilization with/in 1 gal water and 1 lb DME = 30% @ for 60 mins or 15% for 30 mins (2 oz at 15 mins also equals 1 oz at 60 mins). :D

Easy:

Specialty Grains:
1/2 lb Carapils

Malt:
7lb Wheat Extract

Hops:
Bittering (60 min.): 3/4 oz. Hallertau
Aroma (5 min): 1/4oz. Hallertau

Yeast:
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Approx. OG: 1.048
Approx. FG: 1.013
Approx Alcohol Content: 4.6%

homebrewer_99 said:
Only when I'm logged on and can get away from more important matters like W-O-R-K!

You're right, when I hear "Hefe Weizen" there is only one!!

One of my PEEVES -- it's a Hefe Weizen, not American Weizen! That's an American Wheat...there has to be a reason why the Germans don't brew an "Amerikanisches Wheat"??? :D :D

Nach eine weiss, Bitte! Vielen dank! :mug:

I have tried a lot of German Hefes and I love everyone of them, then I tried a Sam Adams Hefe.........it should be illegal that it was called Hefe .......not even remotely the same stuff. Its like saying a Corvette is a Yugo....

Tim1970, I've drank Homebrewer 99's HW and I'll tell you it is delicious. It's what started me liking Hefeweizens. So, you will be pleased with your beer in the end. As you can see, I'm working on my first batch of his HW now (bottle conditioning).

Bill, I've got the HW in bottles now for almost a week. I tasted it during bottling, and it was great! What's the minimum for the corn sugar to carbonate---one week? :D I just might have to sample one early. Luckily, I do have some other homebrew to drink in the meantime.

Bill, btw, congrats on the kegging. I hope to do that someday.

Latest posts

Back