Good beer in Atlanta?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnaBonger

Reaction score
I'm heading to ATL for the 1st time in a few weeks for work. I'll be staying in the Doraville (?) area and will be looking for things to do and beer to drink... Any suggestions?

Out front of the Fox theater (downtown) there's a little bar with lots of Belgians. Not bad. Also down the street is the Vortex.

B

Ahh, that map is exactly what I needed, thanks! But nothing is ever as good as recommendations from other beer lovers!

I've lurked in these forums for a long time but being from Atlanta, I had to reply. :)

Quick Summary:
If you do one thing while in Atlanta, go to the Brickstore Pub.
If you do two things while in Atlanta, go to the Brickstore Pub and Sweetwater Brewery.
If you do three things while in Atlanta, go to the Brickstore Pub, Sweetwater Brewery and The Porter.

Local breweries:
  • Sweetwater Brewery - A great, local brewery that is pretty close to Doraville. They do tours and tastings Wed - Fri starting at 5:30 and Sat at 2:30. Beers to try at the brewery or a bar: 420 Pale Ale, IPA, and Happy Ending Imperial Stout. Website is here.
  • Terrapin Beer Company - A great, local brewery in Athens, about an hour's drive from Doraville. They do tastings but I'm not sure of their schedule. They're well worth the drive if you have the time and have a car. Beers to try at the brewery or a bar: Rye Pale Ale, Hopsecutioner IPA, Wake N Bake Coffee Oatmeal Stout, Gamma Ray Wheat Wine. Website is here.
  • Atlanta Brewing Company (ABC) - A good, local brewery that is on the other side of town. They also do tastings but I'm not sure of their schedule. Beers to try at the brewery or a bar: Winter Brew and Oatmeal Porter. Website is here.

Beer bars:
  • Brickstore Pub - An amazing beer bar in Decatur; literally hundreds of beers with many rare draft and bottles options. Fantastic food too. Website is here.
  • The Porter - A great beer bar in the Five Points area. Great food too. Website is here.
  • Ormsby's - A new beer bar in the west-side of Atlanta (near ABC). Impressive food menu, though I've never eaten there. They also have pool, shuffleboard, and indoor bocce ball. Website is here.
  • Book House Pub - A smaller beer bar in Atlanta with a small but impressive beer and food menu. Website is here.
  • Leon's Full Service - Another bar/restaurant from the same guys that own Brickstore. I've never been but have heard good things. Website is here.

Brewhouses:
  • 5 Seasons Brewery - A very good brewery/restaurant with a few locations around Atlanta. The closest location is The Prado, which is pretty convenient to Doravile. The head brewer at The Prado location founded Sweetwater Brewery but left for 5 Seasons last year. Website is here.
  • Twain's - Brewhouse in Decatur (near Brickstore and Leon's). Good beer, decent food. Website is here.
  • Gordon Biersch - Brewhouse chain. The Atlanta location brews on-site I believe; good beer and food. Website is here.

Other:
  • Taco Mac - Taco Mac is a decent chain bar/restaurant. They have a large beer menu, but I always find beers they're out of when I go. Their food is ok; typical bar food. Having said that they have a new location at The Prado which supposedly has a great beer bar downstairs. I've never been to that location. Website is here.

Let me know if you have any questions on these. The lists are in order based on my personal preference.

-Cameron

Here is a store that you must go to when in atlanta:

http://www.brickstorepub.com/

Taco mac is also good and has a good selection of beer. If you are looking for brewpubs there are several "5 seasons" around the area and a Twain's brewpub by the brickstore.

These are the only places that I have been up to this point. What days are you going to be in town? You could always stop by and say whats up to Ed at Brewmaster's Warehouse, he is on the northside as well.

Brewpubs:
If you're heading downtown any, Max Lagers is a good brewpub. There's also a Gordon Biersch, and Park Tavern is usually good. There is a 5 Seasons near where you'll be, but its on the pricey side. Good brew though. The head brewer at the location nearest you is one of the co-founders of Sweetwater Brewing company.

Bars:
I don't have anything to offer here besides Taco Mac, as I don't frequent bars. Taco Mac has a great selection of beers. They usually either have a ton on tap, or a ton on draft, depending on the location. There are two near me, one has 300+ in bottles and 50 on draft, the other has 150 on draft and 200 in bottles. The one closest to where you'll be is probably the Perimeter Place location. It has 100 on draft and 280+ in bottle. http://tacomac.com/locations_ga.html

Breweries:
You'll be near the Sweetwater brewery. Their IPA is one of my favorite beers, and the 420 is their top seller (extra pale ale). They do tours and tastings W-F from 5:30 until everyone goes home, and from 2:30 - 4:30 on Saturday. Atlanta Brewing Company is worth a visit and not too far away, but Terrapin (in Athens) would be a bit of a drive.

LHBS:
If you have time, stop by Brewmaster's Warehouse, Ed loves to meet members. Its in Marietta, not far from where you'll be.

Ha. The Clermont Lounge is actually a lot of fun if you know what it is before you get there (and you're good and drunk). Its where strippers go to die. Last time I was there, all but 1 was 50+ and they were all insane. The lap dances look like they're torture (I've never been brave (read: drunk) enough to get one) but the beer is dirt cheap.

Ha. The Clermont Lounge is actually a lot of fun if you know what it is before you get there (and you're good and drunk). Its where strippers go to die. Last time I was there, all but 1 was 50+ and they were all insane. The lap dances look like they're torture (I've never been brave (read: drunk) enough to get one) but the beer is dirt cheap.

Lol yes. The Clermont is amazing. I was tricked into my first visit. I had a blast and walked out with every intention of tricking all of my friends into going. I've been back a few too many times now but I've had an absolute blast every time. It's a must see if you have a little bit of adventure in yer bones.

If you are making the trip out to Athens to visit Terrapin (which is worth it, if you can muscle the college crowd), drive into downtown Athens (about 5 minutes away) and go to Trapeze. Trapeze is the ONLY bar worth going to in Athens, which says alot. There's over 80 locations to purchase beer in the span of a square mile or two of downtown Athens.

Back