Favorite Summer Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning on starting a batch this weekend to have ready for the summer. I was just curious, what are some of your favorite beers to make for hot weather consumption?

:mug: "Making friends one glass at a time."

Celtic Ceilidh said:
I'm planning on starting a batch this weekend to have ready for the summer. I was just curious, what are some of your favorite beers to make for hot weather consumption?

Hot, sunny afternoons REQUIRE cheap, American style beer. I don't think I could handle an ale on a 100º+ day. Something that comes in a can so I can rub it across my forehead to cool down.

In the evening, I like something refreshing and light bodied with a decent flavor. An IPA is a good summer brew, as is a Wit or a good old Brown.

miller highlife... i like bottled better than the can..

for real beer, a weissen or a pale ale...

Tecate or high life here. I don't make summer beers; other than a lightweight wheat (which is all I make since my efficiency has sucked with wheats :) ).

Evenings are for pales, IPA's and darker brews if it's under 100 :(.

Celtic Ceilidh said:

I live in Sacramento and it gets HOT.

My current favorite;

St Wenceslas Pils.

10 Gallon Bill

18 lbs German Pils Malt
1 lb German Munich malt
1 lb Vienna Malt
.1 tsp gypsum
.1 tsp Calcium Chloride
2 tbs Irish Moss (edit)
2.5 oz Saaz Hops (First Wort) 15.5 IBU
3.5 oz Saaz Hops (60 min) 20.3 IBU
1/2 oz Saaz Hops (30 min) 1.07 IBU
2 Packs WLP830, WLP802, #2007 or #2272 Yeast

SG 1.051
IBU 37.20

90 Minute Sugar Rest Mash, (Single Dect.)
One Hour Sparge
90 Minute Boil
Use Mineral- Free Water

Recipe courtesy of the Beverage People

BEER.2.jpg

It is simular to a St Pauli Girl or Becks. Clean taste with a crisp finish. About 2.8 TO 3 % alcohol.

I cannot reccomend it highly enough.

Cheers,

knewshound

Homebrewing 101

RichBrewer said:
I made a light honey ale that I haven't had in the summer yet but I have a feeling it will be my favorite beer come summer.:mug:

I hope you are saving some of that for me!!!!

I have some of my honey ale waiting--just need to wait a few more week until the IHA is bottled up. I'm going to try it this week with the dry hops and see if it is ready to bottle.....

Dude said:
I hope you are saving some of that for me!!!!

I have some of my honey ale waiting--just need to wait a few more week until the IHA is bottled up. I'm going to try it this week with the dry hops and see if it is ready to bottle.....
You got it dude! I've got to figure out a very inexpensive way to bottle.
By the way, :off: I'm drinking a pint of IHA and it is taking me to my happy place. It may be a tad too sweet but the malt back bone is kick ass. This stuff will never last until 06.06.06.

saison, wheat, bitters, lagers of all kinds, wit. in the evening it gets cold here so i'm happy with about anything, especially a nice stout.

I have to admit that I love to sit out on the hammock in the sun with my hat pulled down over my eyes, sucking on a cold Corona.

Latest posts

Back