Active fermentation after 14 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIBeerGeek

Reaction score
This is probably common with cider, and I just don't know any better.. But I still have a very active fermentation going on after 14 days in primary. My beers all ferment out by day 7-9 so this added time seems a bit strange to me.

What OG, what yeast? Did you use any nutrients?

I'm still in my first cider brew, but I think it's quite common for them to run a lot longer than a beer of the equivalent OG. For one thing, they typically ferment further, and they're lower in nutrients so it can be harder for the yeast to get the job done quickly.

My cider has been going for about a week now and it's still chugging away; I'm going to give it 2.5-3 weeks before racking, I think. The two beers I've done were all but finished in about 4 days, though I gave them 1-2 weeks each.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's still going, based on my limited experience.

yeast a and temperature are big factors. I Just bottled some cider that took 2 month to ferment out. I also have some wine that has been bubbling away since Thanksgiving so time is a big part of it. Good news is the longer it takes to ferment out the less time you will have to age it. read my signature.

What OG, what yeast? Did you use any nutrients?

I'm still in my first cider brew, but I think it's quite common for them to run a lot longer than a beer of the equivalent OG. For one thing, they typically ferment further, and they're lower in nutrients so it can be harder for the yeast to get the job done quickly.

My cider has been going for about a week now and it's still chugging away; I'm going to give it 2.5-3 weeks before racking, I think. The two beers I've done were all but finished in about 4 days, though I gave them 1-2 weeks each.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's still going, based on my limited experience.
Unfortunately I didn't get the OG, so I am going to have to try to figure it out based upon ingredients. I am going to take the TG though, just to make sure I won't have any bottle bombs. Not sure if I should go for a still cider or a sparkling one, but I suppose I will decide that at bottling.

I have a similiar situation. I brewed an Apfelwein over 2 weeks ago, and I still have active fermentation. The only difference between this and my last batch was, I used 5 gallons of pressed cider from a local farm and 1 pound of fireweed honey. The batch before this was made with 100% Juice from costco and 2 lbs of corn sugar and that finished fermenting within 3 weeks.

Same yeast - Montratchet.

I didn't get an OG, but it's still fermenting. At the 4 week mark I'll take a reading and monitor it's progress each week.

corn sugar is one of the fastest fermenting sugars where as honey is one of the slowest

Back