German Pils substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badnaam

Reaction score
What could be a good substitute for German Pils liquid extract? Will the regular light LME work?

This is for a belgian trippel btw.

The recipe calls for both 6lb of german pils lme and 3 lbs of dme. I am not sure why one can't just use lme or just dme.

nothing. dme just doesn't carmalize as easily so it won't darken your beer. it's easier to stir in and dissolves quickly. it may give a little bit of a different flavor but I've made trippels, dubbels and strong ales with just DME and they've all turned out great, so that might be a good thing.

DeathBrewer said:
just use DME and add 20%, so about 10 lbs of DME should do it

(I don't like LME anyway, i'm a DME nazi)
Actually this is backwards, you need to use 0.8 * LME. So 6# of LME = 4.8# DME. So you need just under 8# of DME for the recipe.
Light or X-light DME should get you a similar beer but will have a slightly different flavor than the pilsner. I think it will still make a good triple.

Craig

homebrewer_99 said:
Use this for converting/measuring your LME to DME:

1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME ;)
How many times have you used this post? I think I've seen it atleast a dozen times:)
Craig

Back