Brewing with the season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, so I'm moving house on Friday, and the new place has a sun room, perfect for fermeting. It's going to be warm in summer, and cold in winter. Simple.

Got me thinking... I know nothing about beer styles or brewing techniques, but I'm starting to realise that all this game boils down to is keeping stuff clean and managing temperatures.

With that in mind I wanted to brew beers that suit the temperature in the sun room; saves on electricity which is always a good thing. However, the only thread I could find wityh an annual brews schedule is this one. It's great, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any other ideas? What should I be brewing now that it's starting to warm up? What about in summer when temperatures will be high and I can keep things cold? Winter's great for lagering, right? What else could I do?

Hope some experts can point me in the right direction!

Edit: The right direction might be here... Brew Calendar! Got it!

AJ

Similar situation at my home. I'm using an unheated room that houses the inground hot tub, and this winter we kept it empty so no heat, but has an open window to the basement and connected to the house on 2 sides, so it's warmer than the outdoors, and perfect for lagers in the winter.

I did a batch last weekend and it was 70 outside, definitely time to move to ale yeast...but it's been below 40 almost all week. It's still fermenting, just slower at about 56 Deg F. Probably be my best beer ever ;)

Back