Light LME vs. "Pilsner" LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmanBeing

Reaction score
On the morebeer.com website they have the following 2 kinds of LME:

German Pils Extract - "this light blond extract is 100% made from Durst brand German Pilsner malt."

Ultralight Extract - "by Alexanders this extract is 100% made from Great Western 2-row malt. It is the lightest malt extract available. This is the malt extract that we use as a base for most of our ingredient kits, from Pilsner to Imperial Stout."​

What is the difference between these 2 LMEs? Why would they use the ultralight in a pilsner recipe if the pils LME is supposedly meant for that?

I want to brew a Pilsner and am wondering whether to just use the LME I got from my LHBS or to order some of this special "pils" LME.

Pilsner extract is made from Pilsner malt, while extralight extract I suspect is made from regular 2-row. There's a difference in the character of the two, but if I was going to brew a Pils and had extra light extract on hand I'd probably just go with it. If you really want to be technically correct to style, order the Pilsner extract.

Back