Graff accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svengoat

Reaction score
I scaled back the original recipe because I was using a 3 gallon fermenter..I added 1/2 lb brown sugar but forgot to scale back on the DME ..:cross:

The OG was off the charts but the notty worked it's magic and some month and 3 weeks later I popped the top off the first..:rockin:

Taste notes are as follows.. pleasant apple note on the nose and fairly subtle apple flavor without a hint of the somtimes overpowering applewein alcohol.. It's like a cross between a commercial cider and applewein...

NOTE I did add brown sugar and almost double the DME I should have.. So it's got the kick of a mule but really drinkable... I added a dash of cider to sweeten it and it's really really good..
Also it cleared nicely after the 3rd week in the bottle without much sediment..

BTW this stuff can seriously f-you up..Half a pint in and my stomach is all warm and toasty..

My first try at a graff-like beverage I put a pound of light brown sugar and a pound of extra light DME in a gallon of apple juice and pitched a pack of Munton's ale yeast. Only I discovered later that my "gallon" jug was only 96 oz (3 quarts). When it finally fermented out it was absolutely delicious--smooth, malty, and a bit sweet. My latest batch of graff is still aging--it's going to be good, but nowhere near that good.

I did the opposite with my first batch of graff :( So it's less than 5% but it's super good and I'm saving a few bottles from myself until Christmas

I started a 2nd batch and I'm going light on the DME and also used my own cascades I grew this year...:ban:

This stuff tore me up like a screendoor in a hurricane..

by adding the malts how much sweetness does this leave? will it taste fine without the hops? also im planning on using wyeast 4766 cider strain, any feedback is greatly appreciated

I would do the hops. I did my first batch without and it was nice but too tart. Hops balance the tartness perfectly.

I was a little nervous doing it because i'd never worked with hops before and didn't know what i was doing. But trust me, it's easy and it improves the cider. Do the hops.

just busted out my applewien and graff both are nice.. Both cleared and they both made me type badly.. dunno if this thread can be kept up if I open another 22 oz'er:ban:

Back