Double brew day: 2 yeasts, 1 ferm chamber question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
Im about to move and need to get some pipeline going to see me through the lag period after I get moved in.

I was planning a brew day and have a yeast starter ready for tomorrow(WLP001) and have some nottingham laying around that I figured I could use for a second batch to circumvent a starter and turn it into a double batch day.

So here is the question I have one ferm chamber and like to ferment notty at 60 which is too low for WLP001(i usually start at 63 and ramp up to 68 before bringing to room temp).

How can I ferment notty as low as I want and keep the WLP001 warm enough to ferment? Any sort of timing or temp trick would be greatly appreciated.

What's the ambient temp like?

And FWIW, I've done 001 at 60 and even below and it has worked just fine.

What's the ambient temp like?

And FWIW, I've done 001 at 60 and even below and it has worked just fine.

Ambient is 65ish. Didn't think of that...duh.

And I had been reading that 001 can ferment at 60. My plan. Now is start them both in the chamber and pull the 001 after a couple days.

I'm far more concerned about the notty than the 001, I like notty low and hate it high.

Just realized a third option...earlier this week the local micro gave me a few billion cells of ringwood that I could pitch without a starter how do you think that yeast would do in janets brown ale(India brown ale, if you're not familiar)

Thanks for the help

I've had fun with double brewdays and split batches and limited room in the fridge. I like to use two yeasts with wildly different temp ranges. Like in the summer I did a wheat - half got hefeweizen yeast and went in the cooler. Other half got Bell's house yeast and was fermented in the warm ambient temp for an Oberon-like wheat, etc.

Back