why won't my stir bar spin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmodog51

Reaction score
built a stir plate from a computer fan approx (82mm.) has a rehostat wired in and magents glued onto a bottle cap which is then glued onto the fan hub. i have tried different speeds, different heights , repositioning the magnets and even two different voltage supplys..6V & 9 v.still nothing.....
all i get is the mexican jumping bean routine and then off to the edge of the flask. my flask is 2000ml and the stir bar is 1" no raised ridge
am I missing something here?:confused::(

thanx,

GD51:mug:

Make sure the poles of your magnets are lined up right. the stir bars have a + and a - end. If you have two magnets with the + or - side up it will attract only one end of the stir bar and push the other away causing the stir bar to jump around. Make sure you have one + and one - then it will pull the stir bar down on both ends and hold it better. Also make sure to ramp speed up slowly.

plasric housing..
actually got some good advice from forum members and applied a dip tube "O" ring to the smooth bar which helped it work.
also checked some you tube clips about building stir plates and saw that several builders used a fender washer on the fan hub for magnet attachment.
did that too. seems to provide a greater magnet field using the washer and is easy to reposition the magnet if needed.
thanx for your suggestion;)

plasric housing..
actually got some good advice from forum members and applied a dip tube "O" ring to the smooth bar which helped it work.
also checked some you tube clips about building stir plates and saw that several builders used a fender washer on the fan hub for magnet attachment.
did that too. seems to provide a greater magnet field using the washer and is easy to reposition the magnet if needed. will also ramp speed slowly.
thanx for your suggestion;)

Back