Chantrelle Saffron Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dramirezpa

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
White 550
Yeast Starter
none (1 vial)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
26.5 (calc)
Color
SRM 10
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
23 Days, 72-68*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
At bottling, fairly dry and complex and spicy. Will update.
first recipe post as it's the first that I think is tasting great going into bottles. Figured I may as well keep my notes here.

7.0 lb Pilsner LME
1.0 lb Dextrine
0.5 lb Crystal 20L
0.5 lb Crystal 60 L
0.5 lb White Wheat
1.0 lb Colombian Penela Sugar

60 min 0.75 oz Saaz pellets (3%)
30 min 1.50 oz Saaz pellets
10 min 1.50 oz Saaz Pellets
1 min .5 oz Cascade Pellets (6.4%)

0 min couple of pinches Black Pepper (sorry!)
0 min 0.5 oz Coriander (crushed)

Bottling Vodka Extract of 4 oz Dried Chantrelle Mushrooms
Bottling Vodka Extract of 7 grains Saffron

Mash Grains at 150* for 1 hour
Batch Sparge (my efficiency was low, maybe 50%

add water and extract to make 4 gallons boil (I used about 1/3 of the LME at the beginning of boil and added reminder in last 10 mins).

S.G. reached 1.066 after adding water to get to 5 gallons post boil.

Rack to 6.5 gallon Carboy, blow-off tube.

Pitched at 72*. Dropped to 70, then rose to 73after a few days, then held at 70 for the remainder. final week ~68. Vigourous activity with frothy krausen within 24 hrs. Vigourous for 10 days. Left in primary 23 days. After 21 days, 1.010 FG, held for 2 more daily measurements at 1.010.

4 gallon final yield when Bottled on Day 23 with 5 oz corn sugar and 2 cups water.

Yep, tastes very good. Very esther-y (banana) as would be expected with Belgian yeast. nice color and clarity. there is a very little bit of a thin metallic component to the nose right now but I am hoping that ages out.

The mushroom and saffron are very subtle - can just barely be detected if you are looking for it....I might experiment with adding more of the homemade extracts next time to see if they become too overwhelming or if I could get away with a bit more.

Overall I think it is excellent but maybe a little "grren" (I'm a bit green myself so not 100%) I'll update as the bottles get opened over the season.

Back