Color issue with wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat_Nutz

Reaction score
Hello there, I made a batch of Rhubarb wine a couple weeks ago. The recipie i used was pretty simple, 7.5 lbs of raw rhubarb, frozen then cut up and soaked for about 3 days in water. 6 cups of table sugar disolved into 1.5 gallons of heated water. 1 tbs tartaric and malic acid. I put 1 crushed campden tablet into the rhubarb water mix and let it sit for about 3 days stirring it two times a day. I mixed the juice and enough water to bring it to 3.5 gallons and pitched yeast. It was a kinda pink color for a while and now that the leese is settling out it turned yellow, like really dark yellow and smells kinda rubbery. Taste is a little on the rubber side, but not overwhelming. Any ideas? :(
Yeast was EC1118.

More information please - have you racked it at all, and if so, when? How warm are you fermenting? You wouldn't happen to know the pH, would you?

Basically, my knee jerk reaction is that it has been on the lees too long, and if you rack it and add another campden tablet, it might be okay. However, there are some infections that can give rubbery or band-aid, but the campden tablet might knock that off, too.

the color change is normal- my rhubarb wine is a light golden color, not red at all.

You added a ton of extra acid, and rhubarb is pretty acidic already, so it's possible that the flavor is just acidic and young.

I'd rack it when lees are 1/4 inch think, keep it topped up to within an inch of the bung, and place it in a dark place for 6 months or so. It should improve/

Thanks for the feed back. Fermentation was at 72 - 74F and i just now racked it off the lees. Ill let you all know how it turns out in a couple months. No on the PH.

Back