Strange strawberry wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedley

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

I am making strawberry wine for this first time, roughy using the receipt in C.J.J.Berry's book (p175).

I am curious why it does not call for pectic enzyme. I thought all fruit based wine needed this.

Also it not not mention you need aerobic fermentation, instead just going straight to demijohn once juice is obtained from pulp. Why is that?

Kind regards,

Ross

Strawberries are really low in pectin. You could use it if you wanted though, don't think it would hurt anything. I made a strawberry wine last year without pectic enzyme and it was crystal clear.

Basically always use it, if you didnt need it the yeast will eat it or something else will bind with it and take it away, but if you needed it and didnt add it your next post will be something like "why isnt my wine clearing" :) WVMJ

Thanks people!

Ross

Ps I am going to do the aerobic fermentation for a few days I think.

Save a few berries to toss into the secondary to boost the strawberry nose in the bottle, that little addition really helps strawberry, and if you have any other wine you want to add a little nose to some strawberries in the secondary can carry them as well. WVMJ

Just bottled some strawberry. I used the PE. My recipe book calls for tanning but I didn't use it. It turned out awesome. I like fruit wine dry and about 14% alcohol. It makes for a good night.

Back