SE Nebraska Group Buy Round 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
Time for another group buy, ladies and gents. Prices have not changed. Here are the details:

I have a source that's offering the following prices with freight to Lincoln at $135 (so add $6.75 shipping to each bag until we get over 20, then it will go down with each additional bag). Each bag is 50lbs. unless otherwise noted. All bags are Briess unless otherwise noted.

Here are the prices

The price of each bag drops significantly (due to spreading freight cost over more bags) as we get more bags. I believe we'll be well over 20 bags, probably closer to 30+

I'd really like to get some Nugget hops on this buy, but it's 11lb. minimum. I'd be in for a few pounds myself, but would need partners. This is my favorite and most versatile hop. I make an excellent IPA from them yet also use them for bittering anything that I want a smooth, un-harsh bitterness (MUCH cleaner than CTZ) due to the low cohumulone level. I've made lagers, light pales, even a few fruit blondes with this hop.

Probably looking at under $10/lb. for them, which is WAY cheaper than you can get them shipped (try $19 minimum for 1#...I've been looking all day).

Anyway, keep it in mind. You could always sell some off throughout the year if need be.

If anyone is willing to split a bag of Honey Malt, I've been using it as a lighter sweet malt (lighter than C40/60) for some lagers, pales and blondes. We can even split it 3 ways if you want since it's a 55lb. bag.

I would be for splitting the honey. Whether 1/2 or 3 ways, either works for me since I do not use a ton of it.

First group grain buy, so hope this isnt covered somewhere and I missed it, but email/pm you with the order? Then figure out exact costs once everyone has their orders in?

I would be for splitting the honey. Whether 1/2 or 3 ways, either works for me since I do not use a ton of it.

First group grain buy, so hope this isnt covered somewhere and I missed it, but email/pm you with the order? Then figure out exact costs once everyone has their orders in?

Yep, just post here or PM me your order. The shipping starts at $6.75/bag assuming 20 bags, then goes down from there with each bag. Basically it's $135 to ship the whole order, so we divide it by poundage and that's your shipping.

I'll post "final" costs but I also try to update the shipping costs as they drop.

If we split the Honey 2 ways we'd each pay roughly $3.50 shipping and then that could go down after we eclipse 20 bags total for the order.

When the order is closed, the vendor will send you your own personal link to pay for your order. I handle ZERO money.

Clear as mud?!? :D

Can't decide between munich 10 and 20... Anyone know what Kirk sells? I've been happy with it, but he doesn't list the specifics.. Also, when do you think it will be time to pay? If I have my tax return back, I will probably get an extra bag or so of two row. Currently, I'm looking at two of those, a munich, and a vienna.

What are your thoughts on the munich, if any?

Thanks btw!

If this is your first time ordering with this group buy, I need your full name and email address, so PM or post it here, please!

Will take:
1 bag 2 row
1 bag Pilsner
Will split the honey a third way with you guys above.
Looking for someone to split white wheat, Munich 10L, and flaked wheat. Any takers?

Sorry cancel my order. When I added up the freight per bag plus gas to drive to Lincoln I am not saving much if anything. I will wait until the next Omaha order comes around.

Sorry cancel my order. When I added up the freight per bag plus gas to drive to Lincoln I am not saving much if anything. I will wait until the next Omaha order comes around.

what are you paying at the LHBS for grain now? 2-row is going to work out to be well under $40 a bag...I can't imagine you're paying less at LHBS (didn't you say it was far away as well?)

Last month I paid 42 or 43$ for a bag of 2row at Cornhusker. Plus I just dropped some $$ at farmhouse brewing for the experimental hops that just went up for sale.

Guess I'm on the fence about grains. Sure I could use more, I will eventually use it. But is the drive to Lincoln on a weekend worth it? I don't know......right now anyway.

I want 1 bag Ashburne Mild Malt, 1 bag 2 row and 1 bag of continental pilsner (if there are no European pilsner malts available I will go with Briess). Thanks Tre! You rock.

About Kirk's Munich malt; I made a SMaSH beer with it once and it attenuated very well and I had good efficiency so I have always been under the impression that it is 10L. I'm not sure though.

FWIW. A good number of the people taking part in this group buy are from omaha. No reason for us all to drive down separately. Last time I picked up Vinnie's grain and it worked pretty well for us both. We can make some arrangements for only one person to make the 45 min drive.

Additionally, this buy has been posted for only a few hours with pretty good turnout. If this thing runs for a few weeks before Tre pulls the trigger, the shipping should be pretty cheap per bag.

FWIW. A good number of the people taking part in this group buy are from omaha. No reason for us all to drive down separately. Last time I picked up Vinnie's grain and it worked pretty well for us both. We can make some arrangements for only one person to make the 45 min drive.

Additionally, this buy has been posted for only a few hours with pretty good turnout. If this thing runs for a few weeks before Tre pulls the trigger, the shipping should be pretty cheap per bag.

This

Okay I'm back in. Order me up the following. Hopefully it will workout that I can reimburse someone else for the drive to Lincoln.

1) 1 bag of 2-row
2) 1bag of Pilsner
3) Will split the honey a third way with Tre

Looking for someone(s) to split the following: white wheat, munich 10L, flaked wheat. Let me know thanks!!

Okay I'm back in. Order me up the following. Hopefully it will workout that I can reimburse someone else for the drive to Lincoln.

Glad you're back in since it drives the cost down for all of us. Once this thing closes, we can figure out the details on who will make pick up.

Glad you're back in since it drives the cost down for all of us. Once this thing closes, we can figure out the details on who will make pick up.

Also there was a guy out in Tarkio, MO, I could probably be persuaded to drive to Nebraska City which is half-way. My little Versa would only cost me maybe 4 gallons of gas to get there and back.

Can't decide between munich 10 and 20... Anyone know what Kirk sells? I've been happy with it, but he doesn't list the specifics.. Also, when do you think it will be time to pay? If I have my tax return back, I will probably get an extra bag or so of two row. Currently, I'm looking at two of those, a munich, and a vienna.

What are your thoughts on the munich, if any?

Thanks btw!

Ehrman: Probably let this run for 2 weeks total, at most. I know some of these guys are almost bone dry on grain, so with the 3-5 days it takes to fulfill the order, I don't want to make them wait too long.

It's only day 2 and we already have 11 bags, not counting yours.

We're at 18 bags right now if all current speculative orders stay firm. Shipping would be $0.15/lb ($7.58 for 50# bag, $8.34 for 55# bag). I'm doing shipping by the pound, so anyone splitting bags will pay just their portion of shipping.

I anticipate another 10 bags easily, which would bring shipping down to $0.10/lb.

Tre,
Thanks for getting this off the ground. I'm in for at least 3 or 4 bags. I'll PM my order this evening.
Again, thanks for undertaking this group buy!
Keith

I could probably be persuaded to drive to Nebraska City which is half-way. My little Versa would only cost me maybe 4 gallons of gas to get there and back.

Tre I'm confused...

Are we talking about same thing? I was referring to the Omaha people getting together to make the pick-up from you in Lincoln, just like last time.

Tre I'm confused...

Are we talking about same thing? I was referring to the Omaha people getting together to make the pick-up from you in Lincoln, just like last time.

Haha I just thought the same thing. Ashland is a little better 'halfway' point than NE City! :tank:

I will think about a half-bag of white wheat with BRHH - Do they come pre-split? Or would I need to split it up before the caravan to Omaha leaves and/or run to Omaha to pick my half of the bag up?

Oh Logistics, you so crazy :p

I guess, worst case scenario, if my wheat is stuck in Omaha for a while, I could pick it up at the end of April when I go up there for the Nebraska Shoot-Out Judging!

I gotta look over the ol' budget before this wraps up, if I can squeeze a few more Abe Lincolns out of the pocketbook, then I might jump on either the half-bag wheat, some more base malt, or potentially both.

$0.10/lb shipping makes me giddy!

Chris

Anyone else in for a half-bag of white wheat? I was thinking about that when I put in my initial order this morning.

Oh well if you're already getting some of it PB, then yeah, I'll take the other half of a bag of white wheat from your 1/2 order - that fixes the logistics issue, as we're quite near by each other.

I will get back to you on any other grains I want to add.... hm............... *counts his pennies*

Tre I'm confused...

I was talking abouta guy who's in Tarkio, MO (clear east of here). I'm an idiot for mixing them up.

I have the White Wheat split between PB and ChrisO, but I know BigRedHopHead wants some, too. Anyone else want a half bag of WW? Prefer not to have to split it into thirds but I will.

With freokw's tentative 3 bag order shipping is down to $0.12/lb, or just over $6 a bag. :rockin:

Gotcha. I saw his signature says Omaha, so figured that was correct.

I'm probably totally confused. Now I see that, and he had said something about driving and fuel cost...I know there WAS a guy from MO that wanted to get in...I'm sure I've mixed the two up. :drunk:

Carry on!

I have the White Wheat split between PB and ChrisO, but I know BigRedHopHead wants some, too. Anyone else want a half bag of WW? Prefer not to have to split it into thirds but I will.

I would be in for splitting a bag of white wheat if there is still a bag to split.

Also I will get you my contact info sent once I figure out which other stuff I want.

I would be in for splitting a bag of white wheat if there is still a bag to split.

Also I will get you my contact info sent once I figure out which other stuff I want.

OK, so Stovetop and BigRedHopHead are splitting 50# of WW, and ChrisO and PB are splitting another.

Back