Floating moldy yeast chunks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zabuza

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made a dry rye stout (OG 1.048, current SG 1.012) almost two weeks ago. Today I wanted to check on it and take a sample, so I cracked the lid and found this:

image-2277475227.jpg

I'm using wyeast London ale, and I took some samples earlier - this is probably what caused the mold-like growth (didn't hold my breath, wasn't super careful about sanitization). Am I correct in assuming this is some sort of mold? What should I do with this batch? I wanted to give it at least 4 weeks before kegging (it could use a couple point drop in FG and some aging), but I don't want to let that mold develop. So, should I rack to secondary immediately, cold crash and keg immediately, or just go about business as usual?

I suppose I should have been a bit more clear - see the bright white mold colonies on the floaters at the top right and the left? It is most definitely NOT yeast. Little white mold specs are forming virtually all over the place that are on top of the water, and look fuzzy rather than mud/slurry like.

Ok, so the photo I posted wasn't good enough because people can't see that the white is mold - let's try linking to a site that doesn't have a 200kb constraint on photos:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/photogdh.jpg/

And here's a direct link if that works any better:

photogdh.jpg

It's really close up, so some of the photo is pretty out of focus. Attend to the large white mold colony on the left side of the photo, with numerous white specks forming around it...and if you have anything to say, please answer my questions from before (if you can).

you can try racking out from under it, being careful not to suck it through. give it a taste and see if it's tolerable. i have no experience with kegging batches, much less infected batches. if you have a spare bucket or carboy you can maybe secondary it for a week then bottle/keg/whatever. if the mold is spreading in there, then there is no stopping it.

i will say that i just had my first infection last month and bottled it regardless. it turned out being one of the better beers i made.

Back