Steamer for sanitization/sterilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a steemer and was thinking about using it to prepare my brew supplies. Has any one experiemented with this or know of any resources where I can read about it.

Supposedly steam is one of the best ways to sterilize and it seems like it would also be easy to do. What are your thoughts?>

BrooZer said:
Hey all,

I have a steemer and was thinking about using it to prepare my brew supplies. Has any one experiemented with this or know of any resources where I can read about it.

Supposedly steam is one of the best ways to sterilize and it seems like it would also be easy to do. What are your thoughts?>

I dont own one but A lot of people I know that brew use them for sanatizing woodchips or really anything that the add to there secondary.

I would assume that it would be a good idea on some things. But it would be difficult to do inside some objects like carboys and kegs. Also be careful with heating glass too fast which would be an issue with a steamer. If you have to use a lot of sanitizer, you might as well put it in a big bucket and throw in everything else.

I don't know about you, but a lot of my brewing equipment is glass or plastic. Glass can shatter with temperature shock, and plastic will melt... so steam doesn't seem very practical to me. Maybe if the majority of your brewery was stainless steel...

i'd definitely avoid the glass items. I bet a hydrometer would just explode from the shock...its such a delicate item to start with.

how fast does it heat up? I can mix star san in 30 seconds and have sanitized gear in another 60 seconds.

also don't confuse a steam cleaner with an autoclave, which uses steam under pressure to sterilize items, and it takes 5-20 minutes to do this.

Back