n00b question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencecore24

Reaction score
i generally mash with 1 qt per pound of grain. sparge with as much as i am trying to produce. I work with 3 gallon batches so i sparge with 3 gallons. I always end up with about a half gallon or quart more than i need. Is this lowering my efficiency? is there a different rule i should follow?

i mash ~1.25 qt per lb, sparge with the rest i need to hit my pre boil volume, this will put me on with my pre boil gravity. after the boil, the extra has boiled off and i should be on my OG for the batch. i generally get 70-80% efficiency, depending on several factors.

Agree with NE... I use 1.25 qt/lb and mash-out and sparge to equal 6.5 gallons (typically) in the boil kettle (on average, I boil off 1 g/hr.), so that puts 5.5 in the fermenter.

I typically do stove top and use a grain bag. Never sure how much water will be lost when i mash. So determining sparge quantity is difficult

i do too. if anything, i try to lowball the sparge water a tad. you can top up with water to reach your pre boil vol.

This. I'll top off, usually based on my preboil SG. It cools before the boil is done and if I'm heavier than I want to be, I'll add water to the boil.

Back