barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stedtale

Reaction score
Ok, I am very interested in barley wine, but the only one I've ever drank was from Flying Dog (I love the Steadman art), but I wasn't a fan of that brew. I think I'd like the one made by Bass, but I don't know were to find it. I want to try some barley wines, so I can get an Idea of what I like so I can brew one in the future.

I like the idea of an english (less hoppy than american) barley wine...but, I gotta try a lot before I make up my mind.

Any ideas on how to find barley wines? I haven't been able to find many at local LSs.

Thanks!

Theyre tough to come by, try going directly to a local craft brewer, or depending on what the distribution laws are in MN, check out some specialty beer stores.

If it ain't here, it ain't. Liquid Solution's Wall of Beer; 552 varieties in stock. Ordering beer from out-of-state may be a bit expensive, but you won't find a better selection.

If it ain't here, it ain't. Liquid Solution's Wall of Beer; 552 varieties in stock. Ordering beer from out-of-state may be a bit expensive, but you won't find a better selection.

thanks!

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)

I like the idea of an english (less hoppy than american) barley wine...but, I gotta try a lot before I make up my mind.Thanks!

Then you should try and find Old Foghorn from Anchor Brewing my favorite american brewed english style barleywine. Another good english style is Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot. I also agree with previous poster for trying Victory Old Horizontal.

other barleywine suggestions:
Dogfish Head Olde School
Rogue Old Crustacean
Great Divide Old Ruffian

I just found this at Surdyk's.... I think it'll do...

Anyone ever had Avery Samael’s Ale. Esau's favorite drink :D

Beer Style: Oak Aged English Strong Ale
Hop Variety: Columbus, Fuggels
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, caramel 150L
OG: 1.140 * ABV: 14.5 * IBUs: 41
Color: Copper

Samael’s Ale is a super-caramelly, oak aged English-style strong ale. Perhaps the least hoppy (sacrilege here at Avery!!) beer we’ve brewed, to accentuate the malt. The oak is very apparent in this rich and high gravity ale, adding additional depth and complexity with a woody and cask-like nose and a pronounced vanilla flavor on the palate. Notes for 2007 - With the addition of an additional roasted malt, Samael's now delivers subtle bitterness to add balance to the natural sweetness.

Avery Samael’s Ale is a tasty brew. It's a BIG beer @ 14.5% so beware. It's also a lil pricy @ around 8-10 bucks for 1 12oz bottle. If you can get Avery in your area look for Hog Heaven it's a very nice barleywine but does have some prominent hop bitterness & flavor.

I recently had Victory's Old Horizontal and really enjoyed it.

I've searched high and low, and I still can't find Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot in my area (think it's coming next week). Then again, that's on the hoppier side of things.

Can you get Three Floyds? Behemoth is one of my favorites (though may be hoppier than you're looking for).

Bonus: If the wax is silvery-blue or green, I dipped it.

xoxo

a few years ago Three Floyds was available here but for only 1 year then no more. Robert The Bruce scottish ale is/was one of the best beers i have ever had.

Back