I realize that wheat beer is ****^&(ED UP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing as how this is in the drunken rambling section, I'm guessing.........:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

I've got a real nice American Wheat on draft right now with some Grains of Paradise... real nice and light, but with just a wee spice kick.

I'll admit the first time I tried a wheat beer I was thrown off... where's the malt flavour?? But after the second glass I was hooked. GREAT summer beer and refreshing.

I haven't really liked many wheats at all. I bought Hoegaarten or however you spell it, because of all the raves on this site. First one I didn't like much. Second one I sort of liked. I may be on my way to wheat train. or something.

I like wheats OK that I've bought in stores, but not the hefes. One thing I did to my homebrew wheat recipe is add about twice as much hops as recommended for the style. Most Am. Wheat recipes say to use 1oz of a pretty low alpha hop for 60 minutes, and that's it. However, with my wheat I did 1oz for 60 min, .5oz at 15, and .5oz at 5 minutes. Maybe it's not true to style, but I get that nice wheat malt flavor, the fruity overtones of the wheat yeast, and some good hop flavor and aroma. It's gotta be one of my favorites so far...and has turned out to be quite the crowd pleaser.

Got to love the wheats. I made one to have as my summer beer, for when I'm whiling away the long summer evenings. Mm mmm.

made my first wheat for a music fest last weekend. Well after some failed attempt at jerry rigged force carbing, I botteled it Monday night. We'll see how it tutrns out. Only got 23 beers out of the original 5+ gallons after transferring to a keg, and failing at trying to relieve pressure and what not with my pump tap. It was slightly carbonated going into the bottles which made bottling interesting! I guess I'll see how it is in a couple weeks.

Back