Holy cow! Baby cascade hops are popping up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Last year I planted a cascade hop rhizome on a whim, and it produced 3 bines, yielding a bit over 2 ounces of dry hops. I was told this was really spectacular for a first year yield.

533711_649053115584_1334190833_n.jpg

I just took this photo a minute ago while I was tending the garden. What grew 3 bines last year, is now growing AT LEAST 44. If this is any indication of what to expect in the future, holy cow. I may be regretting getting that new fuggles rhizome :)

Craziest part? They're planted with northern exposure because all of my southern walls are currently used for tomatoes, peppers, berries, etc. I didn't really have anywhere to put them that could fit a trellis except the north side of my shed. Voracious little plants!

The 'Curse' has begun, haha! Good for you. They must like your location so keep an eye on them and don't be afraid to use a little brute force when needed, they seem to like it. Not so much this year but by the looks of it, next year for sure. Hop On!!

The 'Curse' has begun, haha! Good for you. They must like your location so keep an eye on them and don't be afraid to use a little brute force when needed, they seem to like it. Not so much this year but by the looks of it, next year for sure. Hop On!!

You'll have to bear with me, can you explain the brute force a little bit? Keeping them properly pruned? :)

A lot of newer growers have only witnessed their little plants struggle through their establishment year and don't realize what the years to come will bring. In year one, the rhizome is spending energy developing roots while also trying to put the mechanisms in place so that it can reproduce by growing shoots and hopefully hops that would be pollinated in nature so any seeds formed will be able to help carry on the race. A very stressful time for the rhizome with a lot on it's plate. Now that the roots have formed, you can basically call it a crown and things will be different from here on in.

Now that the plant has a developed root system and some excess energy stored up from last season, it can use the excess to further help itself survive by forming rhizomes (underground vegetative stems) which are capable of producing both roots and shoots which are another means of self preservation in case the crown is destroyed or happens to die or whatever. At this point in the plant's life, a grower can opt to just let it grow (unmanaged), or take a shovel out and do some pruning in the Spring. If you do nothing, the rhizomes are allowed to spread and can create management problems further on down the road. Regular pruning will help keep things in check and make your life a lot easier. Brute force is usually the option utilized if you don't prune regularly for a few years.

I grew some hop plants last year from a rhizome. At the end of the season I was bothered because I didnt have any cones on most of the plants. I changed addresses and dumped out my planters. Low and behold, each of the planters were a giant mess of roots. I have no doubt that if I had planted these again this year at the new residence, that these would have shot up and had a great yield this season.

Back